Is hauling wood chips good experience?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Zonno, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Zonno

Zonno Light Load Member

Jun 11, 2018
    I’m currently working for a relative hauling wood chips and bark. It’s local (home every night), but the pay is a bit unreliable (on a good week I can gross $700-800, on a bad week I may gross less than $500) due to the plants closing down. There’s also zero benefits. No health or life insurance, and no paid time off. No direct deposit even.
    Needless to say, this is a temporary job until I get experience and find something better. My question is, does this count as experience even though it’s not OTR? On Indeed, some companies will say they want ___ amount of OTR experience, whereas some state they want tractor-trailer experience but don’t elaborate on whether it needs to be OTR or not.

I’m glad to have a local, home-every-night job with not much experience, however low the pay/benefits may be, but if I’m not going to be able to find something better later on, I’d rather go ahead and go OTR for a little while, as I’m single with no children.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Some companies may be ok with it but most want you to have experience otr. If you are ready to make a change, post your location and @Chinatown can probably help you find something.

Chinatown, Puppage and Zonno Thank this.
  4. Blue Zombie Trucker

Blue Zombie Trucker Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2017
    It's definitely experience. Not OTR, obviously, but significantly better than nothing. And don't sell it short, there are a *lot* of similar driving jobs.

magoo68 Thanks this.
  5. Hazmat Cat

Hazmat Cat Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    Sounds like you are getting experience but not making much money at all. But being home is nice.

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Probably learn more hauling woodchips than you would OTR anyways.

Zonno, magoo68 and Rugerfan Thank this.
  7. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Make sure the rear door is latched. Local here didnt have it latched.
    Got to the plant and had lost 75% of the load and got a ticket from the state trooper behind him

Zonno Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Job satisfaction is important and can lead to a longer life.
    `
    When researching a company, don't look at reviews as 100% accurate. I've never even looked at reviews because I prefer to make my own judgement about a company.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    [​IMG]
    Agriculture Focused

SouthernAG Carriers, Inc. is an asset-based truckload carrier dedicated to providing the highest quality agricultural logistics and refrigerated transport services in Albany

Southern Ag Carriers | Truckers Review Jobs, Pay, Home ...
    Southern Ag Carriers | Truckers Review Jobs, Pay, Home Time, Equipment
    Southern Ag Carriers Albany Ga I am leaning that way . Still going good. Southern Ag is a good company. I am getting plenty of miles and been getting thru the house once a week. Getting thru the house to stay the night on Saturday has been working for me right now because I …

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Just because you don't think you qualify for a company, doesn't mean you won't be hired.
    If you see a company you like, submit an application and let the company make the decision.

Zonno Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.