Is it hard to get into get into the LTL side of trucking?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by RookieJ1987, May 6, 2019.

1. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Don’t have to be at Reddaway forever. It will open the doors to other LTL’s. Seen plenty of guys that were at Reddaway go to other good LTL’s. Reddaway at one point was the OD of LTL had to know someone to get a job there before the YRC buyout. So some of the older tm’s at other LTL’s remember this. Reddaway is the same gig as OD, Saia,Estes, UPS etc.. Get some experience under your belt and then your golden if you want to move on from Reddaway.

road_runner and speedyk Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SidewaysBentHalo

SidewaysBentHalo Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Sometimes its just timing to get in to a place you’d prefer to work. Estes basically seemed interested then the rug got pulled out. Months later i see the p&d spot open again i interviewed for.

OD had one opening and thought id have a shot through a friend of a friend and that went no where. Dayton was another company i looked into as well only to find out that nothing was available.

Ended up landing a seasonal gig last holiday peak at UPS. When that ended I went back to the company i had ran for prior. They came up with a night side run that worked well for the GF and I. Slip seat team basically.

Flash forward to recent and UPS called back for summer peak. Naturally i accepted because the later start times works out better for the home life. The other two seasonal guys weren’t returning. I knew them from other employer.

I was under the impression it was just another seasonal until i went to sign the final papers and the feeder manager emailed HR to bring someone on permanent. So I lucked out and now jumping through the hoops. I am a bit skeptical but we’ll see how it plays out.

In this day an age anything is possible. People retiring, quitting, lack of interest in the trucking industry as a whole are making the better jobs readily available for those with less experience.

Bob Dobalina, Cardfan89 and speedyk Thank this.
  4. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
  5. DAX_

DAX_ Medium Load Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Which endorsements should I get? Just tanker, doubles and hazmat?

Bob Dobalina and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  6. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    All

LtlAnonymous, DAX_ and roel1177 Thank this.
  7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Like @KaoMinerva said you’ll need all of them. Tank and doubles are easy tests though.

8. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    Man doubles is like general knowledge. That portion of the test kicked my arse when I was first trying to get CDL.

FlaSwampRat and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  9. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    I don't know why, but I've had to take the air brakes portion of the test twice over the years, and both times I failed it. And the second time it was like a couple years into my career. There was no excuse. Lol

FlaSwampRat and DAX_ Thank this.
  10. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    I should say that both times I rallied and took the test again right after I failed it, and passed the second time. But still. Lol

FlaSwampRat, Cardfan89 and DAX_ Thank this.
  11. DAX_

DAX_ Medium Load Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Ima take my test next week. Someone told me that early in the year is when ltl companies usually start hiring. I will have 4 years experience in May. Hopefully I can finally start elevating in my trucking career.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.