Is it legal??

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Soundx3Soljah, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Soundx3Soljah

Soundx3Soljah Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2020
    My cousin, brother and I all drive t/t. My cousin is the least experienced of us though having only had his license since last August. He works for a line haul company who I will refrain from naming based out of California. They’re sketchy. Although I can’t really judge cuz the company I work for is kind of sketchy too.
    Yesterday he got a call from his company saying that they have video of him clipping another vehicle with the blind side of his trailer while making a U turn in the yard around midnight. My cousin swears he had no idea it happened but the company now wants to charge him with criminal hit and run because he left with a load and didn’t report it.
    I should rephrase... They *claim* to have a video but refuse to show it to him. Also, for the low low price of just 1500 dollars cash or pay they promise to make it “go away.” It’s definitely suspicious, and I question the legality of a company telling one of its company drivers to pay up or forfeit pay over an incident that supposedly happened in their own yard. Isn’t that what insurance is for?
    He’s going to fight it. I think they’ve got him between and rock and a hard place and he’s making a mistake. but I can’t convince him otherwise so now I’m looking for some help.
    I got good advice here a few months ago when I decided to dive back in to my trucking journey and I just want to see what everyone thinks. Thanks!

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    It's not criminal to hit your own equipment with your own equipment in your own yard.
    Sounds like a scam. They won't show the video as it proves that someone else actually did it.

4. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Lol... tell them to go pound sand.

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    If they aren't willing to nut up and back up the accusation, they're most likely full of ####.

PE_T, MACK E-6, Coffey and 5 others Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yeah, it happened on private property which makes all the difference in the world.
    I'd leave the company ASAP; like, yesterday.

7. 650cat425

650cat425 Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2020
    Pennsyltucky
    Set up, scam, buffalo biscuits... whatever you wanna call it, I'd say it's total bulls***! Won't show video or pictures? Then it didn't happen.

PE_T, MACK E-6, Coffey and 5 others Thank this.
  8. Soundx3Soljah

Jan 4, 2020
    I was thinking the exact same thing. They claim that because it was an owner op he supposedly “hit” they can file a police report and press charges. That also sounds illegitimate. He’s not worried, but he’s also young and hard headed. I guess I shouldn’t be either though.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    They're covering for some 0/0 that hit something and wants his truck fixed for free, so his insurance company won't find out.

10. 650cat425

650cat425 Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2020
    Pennsyltucky
    That sounds like a likely possibility. Good thinkin outside the box.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. Soundx3Soljah

Jan 4, 2020
    Do the private property laws vary by state? Based on all these replies I can’t believe a company would be stupid enough to try and pull this on a driver...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.