Is it me or has trailer prices gotten insane?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by crocky, Nov 18, 2020.

1. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    I've talked to them on those but the dually 12ks and the heavy wire mesh it's closer to $14k. The $10k models are the thin wire mesh and triple 7ks. The main reason I didn't go with that is that I haul equipment fairly often and I'm also trying to futureproof myself so I can haul freight or cars while I'm out on a run.

btw they do make those with 3ft flip outs front and back but it's better just to pay someone else because they charge a ridiculous amount for them. You need the long frame truck though for the front flip outs.

This trailer that was posted

SDX216 Step Deck Trailer - Diamond C Trailers

would be the perfect trailer for me with a few small modifications but I just can't see paying $30k for a hotshot trailer but that would let me do pretty much what I'm looking to do.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    I have a short chassis truck. Cant use front flips. Don't even want rear flips either. Just a solid 53 ft. 14k is not bad at all. As for loading 4 cars you realistically need 59 ft. I can fit 4 tiny cars on a 53. Most normal cars are 18 ft and thats 54 ft.

Maybe you can order it with the middle filled out with heavy mesh and can load equipment. If they can rate it for 24k maybe it would be worth the extra weight.

4. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    ahh ok.. I have the extended frame so front flip's were an option to me but I don't like rear flips either.

5. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017

Have you talked to them about longer ones? I know I've seen those lowboys with 3 full size trucks or 3 sprinters.

Might not have been Kaufman but I've seen them behind semi trucks before I'm wanting to say take3 makes them as well. Its either take 3 or one of the other companies was making those trailers that would fit 3 sprinters because I know I've seen them.

Personally if it were me I'd upgrade to a f70 or some sort of small single axle if I planned to haul 3 over over sized though.

It wasnt the semi version of the ship she either it was the Kaufman style lowboy with 3 sprinters. I might have pictures not sure.

6. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    Semi trucks have plenty of room for front extensions and with the rear extensions they have enough room for 3 oversize units.I have called Kaufman and emailed them and they haven't replied yet. There is a 3 month wait on building a trailer. I'm not fully decided if to stay with my truck and a 3 car.

If I do end up upgrading to a single axle semi I'd invest in a big block and a 5 car single axle suncountry. I don't think there is anything I can't take with that setup. I've seen them hauling city busses, semis and 4 dually trucks easy. Having only 3 axles will save me a ton of money on tolls. Also plenty of ok paying 5 unit 1pick/1drop loads on the loadboards.

The small F70/ sportchassis type trucks are not worth the investment. They have the same HP/TQ and rear axle rating as a Ram 5500 and weigh more.

7. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017

That's the FL60 that is the same as the F550's . The FL70 has a bit more capacity and has air brakes.. I do agree in principle with what you're saying about them but the one thing I think a lot of people overlook when making the comparison is the FL60/70's ect are actual commercial trucks. The F550/5500's ect are not really commercial trucks, they are light-duty made into med duty.

That FL70 will last a hell of a lot longer than any 550 or 5500. That's the benefit of them. The engines on the other hand I'm not a fan of because they almost always have those small Cats and those can get costly from what I hear.

Honestly, though I'm mixed on them regardless. The reason being on my last run out, I dropped at a residential SW of Dallas that was way out in the country and it would have been rough getting anything bigger than my F550 in there. Then I took a f450 dump truck up to Fredricksburg again out in a rural area and no way I'd have gotten a FL70 or anything that size in that place.

For the record though.. A guy has this one sitting around the corner from my house for $5k and I'm seriously considering it. It used to have a sleeper on it but they took it off but it means I can put one back on it and it has plenty of room. Again though I'm really on the fence with that size truck.. I almost want to buy it just in case because it's not a bad truck for the money. On the flip side I love driving the smaller F550 over a big truck because it's so much more manuverable but then no sleeper really does suck.

[​IMG]

That one is an FL70 it has airbrakes and he had it rated with his trailer at 59k lbs. If I'm not mistaken I think the most you can do on a 550 is 49k lbs (I have mine for 40k though)

8. jeffman164

jeffman164 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Iv'e had FL 70s and FL 80s . Blew a Cat motor and put a used one in for about $6000 with labor.Back on the road. Slow, slow , slow though - can we say slow?

Lite bug Thanks this.
  9. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Yeah, they certainly seem like they are underpowered. All the trucks that size seem that way, the F650-750's, the FL's and I think even the international 4000's ect.

That's one of the issues that would take some serious consideration.. if going that route.

What I was wondering is if an International DT466 would liven one up or not. They do something like 300hp & 800 torque. It's like an extra 100 hp and 200 torque over the cat. They were mechanical diesel so very dependable as well.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  10. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Well, figured I'd update.. I decided I'm going with a Big Tex 26gn 40ft and I'm going to have it modified to my liking by a local trailer builder that does good work. After going back and forth a lot, it seemed like the best solution, because I can use the trailer immediately and do the gooseneck modification when I decide to.

I have a Big Tex a few miles away and had my name on a list and they just got some 26GN's in so I'm picking it up tomorrow. Honestly, it's a pretty nice trailer and I think once I have the gooseneck modified to what I'm after it will be extremely versatile. I'll end up with 53' of flat deck space so I could carry 3 cars easily and do whatever HS freight I want including equipment.

rccarlson22 Thanks this.
  11. rccarlson22

rccarlson22 Medium Load Member

Aug 27, 2019
    never heard of the 26gn, does that have 15k axles?

what’s your mod plan to get it where you want? Curious to see if there’s anything I could do to mine to maximize its potential

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.