is it still worth? (sorry long rant)

Discussion in 'European/Other Countries Truckers Forum' started by halfgear, Feb 19, 2010.

1. halfgear

halfgear Light Load Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Rome
    When i was 5 years old i lived with my family in kenia for one year since my father was a hotel dirctor, all i had was a tv and a few tapes in italian, one of the tapes was the movie convoy and i watched it every single day dreaming about being a trucker one day driving a black mack like the rubber duck.
    I got my first licence in the army and then i started looking for a job. Wich in Italy unless you are the son of a trucker that teaches you is not easy at all,because getting a drivng licence is quite easy, a oral exam and a driving exam of a few minutes with the smallest possible combination of truck and trailer.
    But as soon as you start looking for a job the answer is the same no experience no job.
    So i started driving a van to poland and england, after a few months i was able to get a better job with a bigger truck that was so old that rain was pouring inside, and than finally i got to work for the company i am working now where i got the oldest truck they had a 3 axels with a crane, after 2 years the boss told me i was going on an 18weelers, i did one trip with another driver and i was set to go. I was so nervous that i use to drive at night the first days so to be as alone as i could, and docking was a nightmare the first month or so, sometimes i was allright other times took me minutes.
    I tought i arrived were i wanted to be,united europe had yet to come we had our currencies and my wage was high, and than they arrived, first it was the big italian companies to open eastern european branches buying trucks drivers and diesel there and coming into italy, so to survive the smallest companies started hiring the immigrants paying them a few bucks a day and renting them the cab to sleep on the weekends.And finally it was the eastern european companies taking the job directly from the factories. We work for j&j and nowadays we only bring the raw material to their plant in rome, we lost all the international carrrying of the finished items we coulden't compete with a big checoslovakian and hungarian company
    our boss used to say that we would had won being professional and indeed we always deliver on time and we never had problems with a load. But last year he told us that to survive he had to take 2% off our wages, and since than was less and less money.
    This month i got 1700 euros and i usually leave sunday night at 10pm and see again my home friday evening or saturday morning, i pay a rent of 650 plus the bill the gasoline of the car ecc ecc, i got my wage yesterday and i don't have any more money left in the bank because i also had to pay my credit card that is what i will use on the road since i am broke, i have 2 fridges in the truck to save money since prices at truck stop are so high,with the italian lira we could have a full dinner for the equivalent of 5 euros now if you spend 20 euros is a good price but still a few dinners here and there coffe newspaper at the end of the month is at least 500 euros, so i am working for a bit more than 1000 euros a month the wage of an unskilled worker doing an 8 hour job monday to friday.
    And i consider myself lucky i know many drivers with a family and 20 or more years of experience that are currently unemployed, i know a guy that worked for a company 24 years with not even a ticket that was told i found somebody working for half your wage decide if you want to stay or go.
    Sorry for the long rant, my truck has been broken since friday, so i am here paying bills and i am allready thinking about next month since i have been home 1 week and i will get less money and i dont know how to manage the expenses.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CommDriver

CommDriver Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2006
    That would be about $1350 here which would be very low, especially for an experienced driver. But considering the situation you describe, you may be one of the fortunate ones. Hopefully, the worldwide economy will pick up this year or the next.

4. halfgear

halfgear Light Load Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Rome
    it is low man, i was making at least 3000 dollars a month until last year. I had to cut all expenses.

5. Mrs T

Mrs T Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2008
    planet earth
    Hang on in there halfgear.

Trucking is in a far worse mess in Europe than in the US right now.
    I'm in London England this week, and a neighbor here just got his first load of the year yesterday. End of February, and he says there are others out there who haven't run at all yet.
    A friend in Poland lost his job last month due to the company going bust. Bad timing for him, it was one week after his first child was born.
    So now instead of running local he is chasing around England and Ireland, likely out for 3 months at a time, missing out on seeing his new baby's precious first year.

The O/Os have it even worse. Diesel works out around $8.50 a gallon, compared to a quarter of that in the US.

It HAS to get better??

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.