Is It Worth It? (Dump owner/operator)

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by GooseBurt, Apr 11, 2022.

1. GooseBurt

GooseBurt Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2022
    SWFL
    Hey folks!

I’m new to the forum and hope I’m posting this in the right thread/section.

Anyway, I’m relatively new to SWFL and have been driving dump trucks for just over three years now. I got my start in NY, and have been working for a good company here in SWFL. Essentially, I’m here for input from you seasoned owner/operators, as I’ve been hearing a million varying opinions as to the perks of being an OO and to the contrary, a million opinions on how terrible of an idea it is, especially in SWFL.

By good fortune and luck I have come into a bit of money and was seriously considering purchasing my own Dump. The series of questions I have are endless, but here are my main concerns.

1) Is there money to be made with one (tri-axle, tandem) and working as a sole proprietor?

2) Would you guys (or girls) advise getting a 30k-50k truck that’s heavily used? Or a lightly used kenworth t880 that’s selling for around 130k. Assuming the latter, I would need to finance the truck.

3) My niche market. Based off the fact I would have one truck operated by myself, which market do most folks in that situation focus on?
    I’m probably missing some of the key points I wanted to ask while I was driving earlier but I’m sure it will be expounded upon by you fine people.
    Cheers!!

austinmike Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    Do you have a big pile of dirt with an excavator on top that you need moved? Or another business that is doing really well that you would like to throw money away to knock Uncle Sam Down a few notches?

otherwise no, small bunk tractor with a bucket might or might not work for you, but Atleast you can pull the pin and do something else if you have to

4. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
  5. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    Lol

ProfessionalNoticer and Badmon Thank this.
  6. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    That’s easy. Ton/mile rate. That’s a truck operators cue to run away fast before you do something you’re going to regret.

7. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Haul asphalt…. You need to get in with a very busy/good plant.

good luck

8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Dump trucking is always a tough one to break into, many of these O/O's have had the account for years. It's probably the hardest on equipment, boring as heck, and generally never paid the best, it was the 7-3:30 hours and "can't get lost" that's the cheese. KW is simply the best truck today, and most rock haulers use them, but if you really want to get into trucking, I suggest flatbed, it's all I ever see out here.

9. GooseBurt

GooseBurt Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2022
    SWFL
    Great points, thanks. Was weighing the option of Tow Truck/Flatbed as well. Have some experience in that.

201 Thanks this.
  10. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    You know, I was a dump/ reefer/van guy forever and never thought of a flatbed, but as the world continues to deteriorate, boxx pullers( van/reefer) will be a dime a dozen and dump or flatbed takes a bit of common sense. Today, and trucks still catch my eye,,,until I die, all I see is flatbeds, hauling you name it, mostly building stuff, but the only "boxes" I see are company trucks.

GooseBurt Thanks this.
  11. Phoenix Heavy Haul

Phoenix Heavy Haul Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2022
    Raleigh NC
    If your running local dump be sure to line up customers and be a 100% confident they’ll keep you busy before you do anything. Unfortunately straight dumps are only good for one thing and aren’t versatile. With that said it’s a big gamble since you only have one target market.
    I’d recommend an end dump so you could switch gears if need be and pull multiple types of trailers this vastly broaden your market audience.
    Just my opinion of course

GooseBurt, Badmon and 201 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.