is local worth it ?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by thundercat02, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Marksteven

Marksteven Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Bumble Fxxx

My feelings exactly. When i was OTR back in the 70's, i dreamed about the job i have now: Being able to make and keep appointments, Eat at home, sleep at home, go shopping after work if needed , work on Hobbies or my house, have pets etc. In other words, have a life! There is no Cents per mile, per diem, or windshield time that will ever Lure me into living life on the Hiway. As far as pay goes, good luck trying to compare an LTL drivers pay per hour spent in the cab versus OTR pay. Thats why most OTR outfits have a revolving door at their comapnies. Come and go, come and go. Same old same old! :biggrin_25511:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,

couldnt agree more, being able to sleep in my own bed, eat at home, build my cars, drag racing, quadding, volunteer fd, and hanging with friend. I couldnt imagine being OTR and only being home every few weeks for a few days. Yes Some nights I get home way too late and all I do is shower, eat and sleep, but there are days I am home at about 5pm. If I get put onto line-haul which I might I will have 6 days on 2 off, will lose my weekends but will still have time off

Marksteven and FEELTHEWHEEL Thank this.
  4. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Not every driver is suited to local P & D, just as not every driver is suited to OTR. Now I live and worked in a (relatively) rural area. So I really liked the local P & D. We were small enough that everyone knew everyone, (which of course can be a double-edged sword,) but big enough to have good wages and benefits. I made more money local, than I ever did OTR. Of course I worked a whole lot harder for it.

I liked the varied work that we did. Numerous sizes of trailers, and numerous types of loads.

Never found I was bored with "the same old run," because we covered a large geographical area. Our main dock was a decent size cross dock which was easy to work. There were enough of us there to get the job done, although the work was hard and the hours long.

But we also had a one man dock in a more rural area. I never would have wanted that guys job. You get the line haul in, break the freight out, load your own truck, then do your deliveries. Then back to the dock, load out again and go again. I did work that dock some of the time, but usually just for part of the day.

The company was a decent size regional freight company, along with a fuel hauling division. I never worked the fuel side, nor had any desire to.

But I did like to be home at night, and I liked my weekends and holidays off. Never had a problem in guessing if I would be home for a particular holiday or stuck clear across the country.

FEELTHEWHEEL Thanks this.
  5. jgremlin

jgremlin Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2010
    SW Michigan
    I sleep in my own bed next to my wife every night. I shower in my own clean bathroom and I poop in my own clean toilet. The only way I'd want to trade those things for an OTR paycheck is if that paycheck netted me six figures yearly and the first number in those six figures was at least a 2.

6. FEELTHEWHEEL

FEELTHEWHEEL Medium Load Member

Oct 19, 2010
    EL Cajon C.A.
    Long or short, home or away, I like it all.

7. thundercat02

thundercat02 Bobtail Member

Oct 6, 2011
    buffalo ny
    yea well being home is for sure beats the heat out of showering in a nasty shower or eating really bad food specially when my wife can cook lol . but i like the fact i have a family life leaving can take a load out west if i want and i can just work 12 hours be home same day its all on me. but i usually get the itch if i stay home to long and dont go to far and i have to take a load somewhere for some reason. i guess part of it just being in your blood . but i notice when im out of the road for a while its a pain to keep up on the house ya know the hunny dew list getting pretty long at that point lol so i guess i have a between operation which is kinda nice in some cases specially come the slow season.

Marksteven Thanks this.
  8. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Its not about the money. I have done both and OTR does not make more money than local, in fact my experience it pays less.

I haul powder bulk products to Cement plants, glass plants, oil refineries, and scrap yards. Works is steady, pay averages 52 to 70 k.

Tractor and trailers parks at my home, leave around midnight back home by 11:00. I set my own schedule I can leave between 23:00 and 5:00 I like running while most are sleeping and there are few CHP lurking about. Off most weekends. And all holidays

The Tractor is a 2011 Cascadia, 16 detroit, 13 speed, Air Ride Steer and drive axle and cab. Its quiet inside, lots of power, ride better than my Z28. Really tough to take.

Trade for sleeping in a truck, showering in a truckstop, no way.......

I know of several jobs in the area that pay more, but it would mean commuting and I like parking at home.

Marksteven and Big Don Thank this.
  9. Dinomite

Dinomite Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Looking 4 Rocks
    To each his own. Some like women with dark hair. Some with Blonde hair. Some like automatics. Some like manual. Some want to be underneath a woman all day. Some want their space. As long as you are happy that's all that counts. Roll on highway. Roll On.

Marksteven and outlaw76 Thank this.
  10. Marksteven

Marksteven Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Bumble Fxxx

Believe me , i definitly agree with you.

Dinomite Thanks this.
  11. bwalsh1186

bwalsh1186 Bobtail Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Waukegan, IL
    I've been driving local out of Chicago for 7 yrs now. I work 8-12 hours and then home every night. On average 50 hours a week and bring home 1000-1100 gross. Every time I start to get strapped down with bills and rent I start looking at otr jobs again but every time I do I can't find anything that will make me more money then I do now.

Marksteven Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.