is my air governor going bad?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by rollin coal, Aug 19, 2014.

1. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Never had one go out before. Symptoms are about every 3 minutes my compressor kicks on and builds air pressure up to 120 psi. It's not supposed to come on until the air pressure drops back down to 90 psi but it will come on almost like clockwork and build pressure back up to 120psi when there was already 115-118psi there. In other words the pressure is not going down to 90psi before the compressor kicks on and builds it back up. Noticed this morning while I was in the house waiting on it to warm up I thought I must have a bad air leak because it was building pressure back up about every 4 minutes or so.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hi rc, anytime a governor failed for me, it either didn't turn the compressor on, or it wouldn't shut off. Possibly air dryer needs servicing?

4. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    It's been right at 2 years since the air dryer cartridge was changed when it was inframed. I guess it's time?

5. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Could just be a loose bolt or fitting.

ABiceRoads Thanks this.
  6. Tmtbob

Tmtbob Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2014
    Oklahoma
    First thing I would check is the hose from the governor to the dryer. If you lose pressure there it will cycle the compressor. And yes replace the dryer cartridge.

ABiceRoads and BAYOU Thank this.
  7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Your air gauges are showing air pressure in the primary and secondary tanks, not the wet tank. It is the wet tank that is leaking down and triggering the governor because the governor senses wet tank pressure. If you have a big leak in the wet tank or lines between the wet tank and #1 and #2, or the sensing lines between the air dryer or governor, or the unloaders, you will get rapid cycling. Basically the leak is in the system somewhere before your primary and secondary tanks.

8. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I'll let you know what I find. Thanks for everyone's input.

9. JohnP3

JohnP3 Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Rock Creek B.C. Canada
    As stated you want to test the air governor mount, the hose to the dryer, the purge valve in the dryer, all conections to from the wet tank, and most likely the problem, the unloaders, to test those I use shop air, a #10 fitting with a shut off valve, You charge the system and when the compressor unloads, and with the air intake to the air compressor removed, feel the intake if air is flowing out of the compressor intake then the unloaders are damaged. It is not rocket science to repair the unloaders. You buy a kit and the instructions are in the bag.
    Just a thought!

Moneytrucker and areelius Thank this.
  10. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    I replaced my governor with the new type, that has a blue plastic cap on bottom. it is not adjustable like the older ones, but I like it cause it builds up more air 125-130 so it's handy when I use the air hose, plus with the little air leaks, at 130 it takes longer to leak down. it also helps keep pressure up when going down steep hill on the brakes all the way down. I have no jakes. may want to consider if you ever change governor.

11. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Rollin, a governor is only twenty bucks or so, and VERY easy to change. I normally don't like throwing parts at trucks, but when it's so cheap and can be done in twenty minutes why not try it? If this doesn't do it, then look for a low leak between the governor and first dry tank. If your hearing is like mine you won't be able to hear it, water mixed with high bubble dish washing detergent in a spray bottle will show you the leak. Spray down everything, every line and connector.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    areelius and PikesPeak Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.