Is no vaping in hazmat jobs common?

Discussion in 'Hazmat Trucking Forum' started by This_is_a_username, Oct 23, 2022.

1. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Cameras seem to be getting more common in hazmat, particularly Cryogenics. We run chemical tanks though still with no driver facing cameras.
    As far as stopping for breaks. The airlines industry has the flight attendants tell the passengers on long flights to get up and walk around to avoid possible blood clots in the legs. Stands to reason that truckers would face the same problem but you will never hear a trucking company wanting their drivers to stop any more than the law requires.

tscottme, JoeyJunk and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. INRUT

INRUT Medium Load Member

Aug 21, 2016
    I can count the # of times I’ve drove 3 1/2-4 hours straight on one hand over the last 7-8 years

4. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Wow!

alds, HoundDog7 and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  5. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Not only that but if you're going to vape you need to be at least 50' from the trailer, just like you would do if you were smoking a cigarette.

And yes, driver-facing cameras are becoming more and more widespread in the hazmat industry. It is my belief that they will become an insurance requirement.

6. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    I would think seriously about quitting vaping. A lot of negative things about it.
    And I to stop about every 2-3 hours and take a short break. Walk a few laps around the truck or park at the far end of a rest area or truck stop and walk in.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  7. This_is_a_username

This_is_a_username Bobtail Member

Sep 19, 2022
    I can't quit, I've tried and my mental health suffers. My conciousness becomes more cloudy for a lack of a better term. Went 2 months without last year

8. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    You need to slowly wean yourself off of it, don't quit cold turkey. Progressively wait longer and longer between hits. And every time a cartridge goes empty, replace it with one that's the next step down in strength.

Quitting is tough, but you can do it.

alds and tscottme Thank this.
  9. This_is_a_username

This_is_a_username Bobtail Member

Sep 19, 2022
    I'm just gonna keep taking breaks every two hours or so, this job is pissing me off. All the equipment fails a pretrip yet we're supposed to drive em. Just gotta make it another 120 days and I can find a new job.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.