Is RAND McNally ELD dead web site is down since Monday

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by terryt, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Fmcsa didn't certify any ELD or ELD manufacture... They simply said... "If you say your eld product meets these guidelines and you will self certify that it does... Then you can market it and we will recognise it."

FMCSA did however say that you as a carrier have 8 days to figure out a solution to fix a malfunctioning ELD or be put OOS. Yes you can petition for an extension... But it must be granted before that 8 days is past or you are OOS. So when #### crashes and your provider cant fix it in about 24 hours you best be putting your petition in to get that extension or finding a new eld provider.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    you have yet to say how the fmcsa should get involved...??

When other elogs went down over the last 18 months you didn't see people coming on here crying like a little school girl "fmcsa help me help me" they delt with it.... if mine goes out I'll be on paper in 10min and my backup eld will be up and running 20min after I start my 10..... it's called having a back up plan

MidWest_MacDaddy Thanks this.
  4. terryt

terryt Heavy Load Member

Apr 27, 2009
    good for you

flood Thanks this.
  5. StoneSSD

StoneSSD Bobtail Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Richmond VA
    Cannot connect to their servers with gps to update so I conclude Rand Mcnally is in some real trouble.

Still undecided Thanks this.
  6. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Yup... if their IT Department is worth their salt, IF they even have one, they have probably been preaching this issue as well as other issues and have their hindquarters covered and in layers.

7. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    Ya, I still can’t get live data on my gps ... and that’s just 3rd party data that they access and push on to us... so ya, something big happened.

8. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    It was ransomware. No word on whether they paid or are just rebuilding it from backups.

9. Lucky12

Lucky12 Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Here is their page on Better Business Bureau of Chicago:

Rand McNally | Better Business Bureau® Profile

I read the McNally family sold it (likely the kids who inherited it if I were to take a guess) to a Wall Street private equity type outfit. They seem to be disinterested in serving their customers. Makes one wonder why bother to invest in it if they are just gonna run it into the ground. Maybe a competitor is involved or something, but even then the name should be worth a lot. Hard to fathom why they run the place that way.

Hegemeister Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.