Is SAGE a good training school?

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by BigBob, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Toby

Toby Light Load Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Indiana
    BigBob- Sage is one of the better training schools around. They are running $4800.00 with room/board during training.(in Muncie, Indiana) They do one on one driver training with students. You pay more but you get what you pay for.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. evelynGoodshot

evelynGoodshot Bobtail Member

Oct 6, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Sage Technical Serivces is one of the best training schools. They are one on one student to instructor, they have a lot of paitnece and their instructors are live one time drivers. They especially have patience to teach female drivers. I can't say enough good things about my experience at Sage Technical in Henderson, CO:sunny:

4. Empowered

Empowered Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Michiana
    FYI: Sage will promise 44 hours of driving time but it turns out that time can be spent beside, on, or in the truck. Pre-trip training, etc....so don't plan on 44 hours of driving. :biggrin_2552:

5. Blue02celi

Blue02celi Road Train Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Melbourne, FL
    Besides the promised hours, how would you rate your experience with Sage? I am in colorado so Im looking at the Henderson, CO location. Been looking around for a community college option but dont think they have any out here (im originally from NY so Im not familiar with anything out here). The majority of the posts I've found so far about Sage seem positive, and they accept VA which is also a plus but I just want to make sure I ask as much as I can before I make my mind up.

6. Empowered

Empowered Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Michiana
    Sage schools are bound to vary; I attended one that was just getting off the ground. It surprised me that the weeks were not full weeks, after classes were done...then you may come for actual range/road training only once or twice in a week. You may want to inquire how many DAYS of training are included for the cost.

They did permit a number of companies to come in for recruiting, which was informative.

I'd like to know where these 6-week tech schools, for
    less than a grand, are located! I am currently at a great 4-week tech school and we meet every weekday; I am in the truck and on the road generally 1-2 hours a day. We read the book mostly on our own, whereas
    Sage went thru the book with us. I prefer to study on my own and spend as much time as possible in the truck.

7. geargrinder

geargrinder Medium Load Member

Nov 23, 2006
    More than likely waiting.
    It helps the boards clarity when comments and questions are posted in the correct locations.

8. LMB

LMB "Olde Goat"

Aug 12, 2007
    Rocky Point NC
    I went through Cape Fear Community College Truck Driver Training in Wilmington NC. The cost was $600.00 plus books and DOT Physical. We had to have our permit BEFORE we enrolled. 364 hours training. 284 hours driving, 80 hours class room. Our class had 10 students. 1 dropped out, and 1 failed. The one that failed had individual training to help her, but she just couldn't grasp it. I ended up with a Hazmat and Doubles endorsement. Everyone that graduated had a job waiting for them.

9. kitering

kitering Bobtail Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Forest City, NC
    All schools vary from location to location. PTDI certification is almost always a sign that school went the extra mile to be surewhat they teach is what the carriers want. Some Sage schools are certified, others are not.

10. bigstuff

bigstuff Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2007
    greenwood sc
    I choose roehl out of 9 different company's. I think i made a wise decision after attending orientation i feel even better about my choice. If anyone out there has had any negative experinces at roehl please let us know.

11. Jugomugo

Jugomugo Bobtail Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I'm currently attending a SAGE school in Indiana. I've been fortunate enough to be the only student in my class. This has meant moving through the material at a fast pace, which is great for me. After the first day and a half, I already passed my general knowledge and air-brake exams. I intend to complete my combination (to get permit) exam tomorrow, as well as getting my d&t endorsement and tanker endorsement. I'm hoping to get my Hazmat done early next week.

So far, school as been great for me. I start driving Saturday. I'm considering Roehl at this point since I'm interested in flatbedding and working out of Chicagoland.

Just my $.02.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.