Is SWIFT so bad?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by cat 500, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Road Dog

Road Dog Medium Load Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Bob Funk,yeah that 75 lb.deal is another of Swifts Mickey Mouse things. You have to take a 75 lb.bucket and carry it around the room about 12 times,the set it up on a shelf that is about shoulder high. The one lady driver in my orientation group failed the test. Myself being 68 yrs. old at the time that darn bucket got pretty heavy when it came time to deposit it on the shelf.
    Swift has all kinds of goofy things during orientation,including the so called doctor in a dirty white shirt who gives you a physical exam. Take my advice and look elsewhere. Most all of the major trucking companies are looking for drivers,especially teams.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. datxsaw

datxsaw Bobtail Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    :biggrin_2554:"yeah that 75 lb.deal is another of Swifts Mickey Mouse things..." That is stupid! When I drove for them back in late '02 & early '03, I never had to do anything like that... :biggrin_25511:

4. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    They can't discriminate against older drivers, so they've dreamed up this "test" to weed those people out. Older drivers mean higher health insurance costs, which is something they try to cap. Never mind they'll let a bunch of trucks sit for a week waiting on new hires. That opportunity cost could, in theory, pay that extra premium cost they'll incur by hiring older drivers.

But we know those sitting trucks are part of another strategy, right? They're sucking a sugar-titty.

5. cat 500

cat 500 <strong>"Kitty Cat"</strong>

Oct 24, 2007
    florida
    is this for real about the 75lb bucket. my husband starts orientation tomorrow in ocala.

6. Sad_Panda

Sad_Panda Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Yeah, Central does the same thing. Oddly enough, they don't really check out out that much with getting your green medical card. They didn't even check my eyes, and it wasn't a doctor who checked me out. Here is a hint, don't rush and keep the box close to your body.

7. goldwing daddy

goldwing daddy Light Load Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Stuart,Florida
    the 75 lb weight lift is to monitor your heart rate,you are wearing a heart rate monitor while doing this procedure. They don't want you to have a heart attack while driving the truck after possibly doing light work. As far as central ref is concerned Jerry's daughter supposedly owns them. same company same procedures. As far as driving for them they will push you hard to start out with to see how you handle pressure. Same as any other company trying to find out what you can and cannot do. The most important thing is to do it all leagally. As it has been mentioned so many times here before attitude is everything. Don't expect to be "super trucker" right away. Learn the ropes,and everything will start to fall in place.

8. Herbmaggie

Herbmaggie Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Felicity,Oh.
    I am new to the company and had to go thru the house of pain and do the lifts. There was two women in orientation with me and they could not do it. It was kinda sad I guess cause some of the guys could barely do it. I myself didnt have a lot of problems though it was a little tough.

9. cat 500

cat 500 <strong>"Kitty Cat"</strong>

Oct 24, 2007
    florida
    my husband called this morning and passed the physical. yes, he had to carry the weights around, and lots of paperwork he said. it is just the first day.

10. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    What tests will they dream up next? Here are some possibilities:

1. The Typing Test. Drivers who can type won't be hired. This is so they hire only drivers who can't post on websites. This is to prevent the dissemination of critical information by those drivers the companies screw over later. Drivers are to be kept in the dark and denied the truth.

2. The Reading Test. Drivers who can read won't be hired. This is so they can't read posts on websites. Again, drivers are to be kept in the dark. These people will have to use tutors at the DMV. At orientations, their applications will be filled in by secretaries, as they won't be able to write, either. Mexican drivers can't type, can't read, and can't write. They'd be Grade-A material in this new regime. Wait. They already are.

3. The word 'NO' test. Those drivers who know what the word NO means won't be hired. Only YES will do.

11. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    The powers that be have been trying to get smokers to quit smoking for decades using advertisements. That didn't work as well as they wanted it to, so they tried new ways, such as smoking bans.

The powers that be have been trying to get fat bodies to watch their weight and lose weight for decades using advertisements. That hasn't worked as well as they want it to, so they're trying new ways, such as weeding out people from jobs.

Yeap.....This new test you guys are faced with sounds like an attempt to weed out the fat as well. Insurance companies don't want to pay for medical costs caused by bad eating habits. If you stubbornly cling to your old ways, they'll just try a new method to alter your behavior. When you can't get a job anywhere because of your weight, you'll lose your flab in a hurry.

Prunefaces and fat bodies need not apply.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.