Is there a way to adjust accelerator petal sensitivity?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Mr. Kool, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Mr. Kool

Mr. Kool Bobtail Member

Oct 17, 2017
    Have a 2014 Peterbilt 389 Fitzgerald Glider with a 12L Detroit. The "go fast" petal is way to touchy. I barely have to tap the petal and it's like I have it half way down. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to adjust this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Probably need to go to a dealer and have it adjusted.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If it's a fly by wire pedal there should be a throttle sensor that translates how much hammer you want into electronic language going to the ECM. That ECM then decides what to do with the engine. If the hammer is not sending the right amount for whatever you are trying to do to it then that ECM and engine will behavior that is not what you want.

A Dealer will be able to evaluate the information coming from that pedal and see where the problem is.

5. Mr. Kool

Mr. Kool Bobtail Member

Oct 17, 2017
    Ok, thanks for the info and quick response. I was hoping it would be something I could fix.

6. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Let me guess., your used to a cat.

Detroit's are touchy I agree. It's something you have to get used too.

It could be tweaked a little in the ecm. I think the droop has to be adjusted. But over all they are touchy engines and I like the cat I had before for drivabillity over my Detroit.

Oxbow and Mr. Kool Thank this.
  7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    It's mostly in the mechanic rate of turn the sensor moves during pedal travel. You can't change the linear voltage scale the ECM reads to convert to a pedal percentage. Throttle pedal sensors also have a fix range of motion and that linear voltage scale is linked to that range of motion. You would need a pedal assembly with more travel so that it would take a longer pedal stroke to actuate the throttle sensor in proportion.
    Droop is mainly used for how closely the engine stays to cruise set speeds when going up or down grades.

SAR, Oxbow and swaan Thank this.
  8. Mr. Kool

Mr. Kool Bobtail Member

Oct 17, 2017
    If I push the pedal to the point where it just starts to rev and hold it at that point, it will go from a idle and increase rpms without any additional pedal pressure. I'm not sure if this is a glider, or Detroit thing. But my 06 379 with a C15 only increases rpms with added pressure to the pedal.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  9. Mr. Kool

Mr. Kool Bobtail Member

Oct 17, 2017
    Yes, I have a CAT in my truck, and I'm beginning to wish I had a CAT in this glider too.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  10. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Yeah I ordered my second glider with a factory reman N14 but got a call from western star that they couldn't do the Cummins because of hight issues.

So I went the Detroit route. It's ok, it has been trouble free and pulls great but took some getting used to the pedal.
    Just a real hyper engine. Lol.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  11. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Going from a B model to a 6NZ I experienced the same thing; I guess I would be horrible in a Detroit.

SAR Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.