Is there really a trucker shortage?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jbrow327, Oct 24, 2021.

1. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    You aren't being an #######. But if people leave their tomatoes out and you eat them all, that's different.

Ridgeline and bryan21384 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Conspiracy theorists will always be conspiracy theorists. The government doesn't need to do a thing. Times change organically.

Accidental Trucker and 6wheeler Thank this.
  4. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    They probably passed on you because they know you ain't gonna stay. They may not even get a year out of you. Businesses of any kind catch on to that. If they get the vibe that you're always looking for greener pastures, they may pass. My friend is on his 4th stint with P&S. They told him that if they even get the vibe he's looking elsewhere, they'll let him go. I was actually on their side. They really looked out for him, and took great care of him. He should have never left them from day one.

TommyMac and olddog_newtricks Thank this.
  5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

The pay and work conditions in trucking are attracting exactly the number and kinds of drivers that it should. "The Driver Shortage" is shorthand term for companies that want an infinite supply of cheap labor. You will know there is a real driver shortage when companies are racing each other to raise pay and improve conditions. Companies are still trying to get away with small pay raises and tricky bonuses. A few years ago one big trucking company started announcing some ridiculous bonus, was it $100,000? The small print mumbled you had to stay over a decade or more and other requirements to get that amount.

Is there a shortage of $5,000 new cars getting 100 miles per gallon? No. You can get a $5,000 car. You can get a high MPG car. You cannot just decide there ought to be millions of $5,000 cars that get 100 MPG. Well, you can if you are a "journalist" or a PR hack/Lobbyist for trucking companies.

The Crossword Trucker Thanks this.
  6. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Low pay and work conditions is kind of subjective. Bad work conditions, I'm not so sure about that. What would be defined as bad work conditions? The only thing that I think will truly deter people is the fact that you are away from home long stretches. Everything else is manageable to me, it's work. I'm not sure what people expect.

7. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    true that statement be.

the last job, that i retired from, i was able to do it in about 8.75, to 9.25 hours, 5 nights a week. going from Taunton, MA, up to Portland, ME, with stops going up there, along the way.

on snow nights, of course it was a tad bit longer, maybe an extra hour, cuz at the hours of 8PM to 5AM, and where i was??

hardly any traffic at all.

8. VA CDL Holder

VA CDL Holder Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Of course, I'm not going to stay more than 4 or 5 months, that's a long time with no home time. Living overseas does have it's disadvantages and they can just keep hiring people from their CDL school and reap the profits of cheap labor. That cheap labor is going to tear #### up, but that's factored into the bottom line I'm sure.

If the country is not in flames or dead in the water come January, maybe I'll try to drive again or maybe not. I'm not going to kiss any ### or jump through many hoops to land a driving job. Lots of conspiracy out there saying that the USA is being taken down and it's hard to argue with that. It's really hard to care anymore and you can read it on peoples' faces that do the daily grind.

Eldiablo Thanks this.
  9. Jbrow327

Jbrow327 Light Load Member

Sep 28, 2019
    Some interesting responses for sure.

10. SoulScream84

SoulScream84 Road Train Member

Mar 21, 2020
  11. Moronica

Moronica Light Load Member

Mar 13, 2020
    ^^^ Is that really what it looks like everyday ? wow

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.