Is this a new driver training technique?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Luckydawg66, May 26, 2021.

1. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    99% of the time the right lane flows better because everyone goes straight to the middle or left when they get on leaving the right lane less traveled.

D.Tibbitt, JadeLove, Magoo1968 and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Nothing aggravates me more than driving down 81 at 3am with next to no traffic and some clown is camped in the center lane. Of course, the great state of Pennsyltucky, in their infinite wisdom says no trucks in the left lane. Oh and the right lane going south isn't fit for an Amish buggy, let alone any motorized vehicle.

Lately I've been just slowing down to 55 mph on the small section of 81 that's 3 lanes that I travel between Carlisle and Harrisburg. And hanging in the right lane. Let the clowns in the cars hit me, ain't gonna hurt my feelings that they don't know how to merge.

D.Tibbitt, Tb0n3, TokyoJoe and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Lostmykey

Lostmykey Medium Load Member

Oct 6, 2019
    DFW did it right. No trucks left lane, at least 4 lanes each way. Fast cars -> fast trucks -> campers -> merge lane. I’ve seen fast trucks behind the campers that don’t seem to realize they can move left to pass.

5. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    Once they approve the speed limiter law it will be steering wheel holders being held up by former big trucks.. the way it’s worded is a old school truck will be 65 and a new truck with all the nanny stuff will be 70 mph.

6. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere

And if it passes, I'm done driving. Not that anyone really cares, but....

Magoo1968 Thanks this.
  7. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Ca. state law......when 4 lanes same direction, trucks allowed right 2 lanes (#3,4) When 3 lanes same direction, trucks right lane only, but can pass in # 2 lane. ( lanes are numbered left to right 1.2.3.4) In rare instances, the exit is on the left, so trucks may move over but not more than 1 mi from the exit.

8. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Idk what all u guys is talking about . i have no problem running the right lane all day all night. Not gonna see me in the middle lane unless im passing or really need to get over which doesnt happen very often in heavy traffic... U guys need to learn how to time the mergers and flow with them . it is not rocket science...

The middle lane is not the safest lane contrary to popular belief , dont care what no smith system says. U have 1 out in the middle lane if the #### hits the fan . and most drivers dont even have that since they are running right on someones bumper... In the right lane u have that same out and also most of the time you have a shoulder to your right , which is a guranteed out when its their....

There was a wreck right in front of me last year in california on i215 ... Since i was in the right lane , was able to use the shoulder to avoid this wreck . i was the only person that did not contribute to that wreck . everybody to my left was involved and the only out was the shoulder. if i was in the middle lane i wouldve hit more than 1 car and that wouldve been a bad day for everyone invovled....

Just something to think about , being safe in trucking is about the bigger picture.

Rule #1: Always leave yourself outs.

Rule # 2: Never forget rule number 1.

9. Badmon

Badmon Heavy Load Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Deep south
    Thats fine. Just maintain your speed and hold your lane as i blow by the passenger side

kylefitzy, JadeLove and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  10. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I’ve been driving since 1979, I drive in the right lane always, regardless city or whatever you want to call it. I only use the left lane for passing, and drive right back to the right/truck lane. “F” the smith system.

Brettj3876, kylefitzy, tinytim and 3 others Thank this.
  11. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    Smith system use to tell you to try and maintain outs decades ago I’m surprised it wants you in middle lane now. Methinks megas adjust it to suit their preference.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.