Is this double brokering?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Chinchilla, May 27, 2019.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Best include Landstar, Coyote, TQL, they all fish around, calling other Brokers, asking if they need any help, We have Trucks available, etc. That’s why they have so many postings everyday, not because they have so many Customers.

Lite bug, FoolsErrand and TallJoe Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LionsHideOut

LionsHideOut Bobtail Member

Jul 5, 2019
    Co-Brokering & it's legal.

Carrier411 - Co-Brokering vs. Double Brokering

4. AaronP

AaronP Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2019
    There's nothing illegal about double brokering - at most its a civil contractual violation.

5. LionsHideOut

Jul 5, 2019
    Tell that to the insurance company when there is a claim involved or non-payment to the carrier by the 2nd broker. The carrier will go back on the Shipper & demand payment. Bye Bye Customer. Shipper Pays Twice....................

Avrakotos Thanks this.
  6. AaronP

AaronP Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2019
    But again, that's not illegal. It's a possible consequence of double-brokering.

7. LionsHideOut

Jul 5, 2019
    Agree, it is not illegal. Unethical definitely. Gives the Brokerage business a bad name............
    That is why in all my contracts, I exclusively state "Double Brokering is Prohibited". Keeps me out of trouble with my customer if Double-Brokered and the carrier gets stiffed.

AaronP Thanks this.
  8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    The wording of the contract/ confirmation sheet makes it illegal, or legal for that matter. A lot of double brokering goes on, with all parties in agreement, Usually the Carrier hauling the Load, is in the dark.

LionsHideOut Thanks this.
  9. LionsHideOut

Jul 5, 2019
    If all Parties are aware, then it is Co-Brokering. If one Party is left in the dark, it's a Double Broker. Not criminal, it's a civil matter & unethical by not completely protecting the interests of the Shipper (Payer) or Carrier.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  10. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    They got me today, first time.

My anticipated backhaul fell thru this morning. Im a starving company driver and the office is closed monday so the reality of two extra small checks coming was an ouchy. I cruised DAT and found a $2000 load of crane mats in carolina going to my old hometown in new england where i have some things needing done. [Ratecon address shows im actually delivering to a yard a highschool acquantaince owns. Neato] my office was cool with it so i book it with company A who i have hauled for. He tells me hes only got $2100 in it so theyre firm at 2k. Thats fine, im content to go exactly where i want when i want over a holiday weekend. Easy run, bringin one of the kids to visit family.

Im on my way to the shipper and get a call from unknown mississippi number. Could it be the warranty on my 1983 F250 is about to expire? Someone wants to buy my timeshare at meth ridge tennessee? Ooh.. Medicare open enrollment?! Sign me up!

I answer, and a real human asks for me by name. Yes? This is so n so at such n such company did you get your load of mats on?

Needle scratch. Wait, who are you again?

Company B

Well i didnt book with the B team i booked with the A team how do you even know about this load?

Those are my crane mats. We have more of them if you wanna run for us direct..

Just as i start to get smart to whats going on and ask more questions she says shes got an important call coming in and has to take it, ill put you over to dispatch, and then elevator music until i hang up. Call back.. Its a masked number. Not liking this.

Bad traffic, get to shipper just in time. get my load like clockwork. Get papers.. Bteam is on BOL. Dont say Ateam anywhere. And i need to download an app or get penalized. Go to the webpage.. Its down, cant get app.

I do some digging and calling until im on the phone with a friendly B team dispatcher. Im like who are you? I get their MC and start figuring this picture out. Shes trying to recruit me to haul for B team direct. Says Ateam got the load for $2200 and rebrokered it. Those dirty rats. Funny that their ratecon contract specifically prohibits double brokering on both pages. The nerve. I can do it to you but you cant do it to me.

Okay i been duped, fine. Look up Bteams MC.. Oh a name change, bad reviews and a bond cancellation in 30 days. Its too late in the holiday weekend to get anyone on the phone. I called collections companies, i called the surety bond underwriter and the manufacturer. Nothing. Called the A team, no answer. Wanted to get the load off but no dice. Get a callback from nice office lady at the plant whod gone home. find out that the B team trucking company also owns the mat company and that theyve been making mats to their spec for 8 years without any issue. No money problems. Alright i feel a bit better.

A team double broker agent calls me back. Hey man i got that load on.. So your name aint on it.. Who is this B team.

Oh its all good they are the carrier and uh.. He gets wierd and careful with words. I say i figured it out dude, i dont care that you made $200 double brokering it, whatever. A sigh of relief from him as he goes on. I ask him who pays me.. Ateam or Bteam. Oh no you get paid by us, 2 day quickpay.

I said alright, thats cool. I hope you get paid before their bond is used up.

Needle scratch

Whhhhaaaatttt?

You didnt notice that you double brokered a load for a company whos bond is cancelling in 30 days?

Best part of my day has been this guy saying FUUUUUDDGGGGE like ralphy in a christmas story as i got off the phone.

Ill let yunz know how it pans out.

11. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Man that was an X1 supersize story now that im stepping back to look at it. LOL

Snailexpress and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.