is this engine anygood ?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by kay_ray, Sep 13, 2019.

1. kay_ray

kay_ray Medium Load Member

Jun 6, 2019
    hey guys does these dyno numbers look good for a 2016 cummins 15 340000 miles on it.thanks

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Always lose a certain amount of HP driving hotel loads (Alternator, AC etc) and parasitic loads (Transmission, drive axles etc) and over come inertia.

For a 450 shes not too bad. Probably had her fuel taken away around 1830 RPM.

It's ok, but not a complete report. It's still a 450. rather small in today's world.

kay_ray Thanks this.
  4. kay_ray

Jun 6, 2019
    hey x1 heavy yes its a small engine but the truck is speced perfect for me. i haul mostly plains very little mountains with dryvan loads topped at 42000 lbs rarely .what els should the report include? i ll call and tell the shop to send the full report and will try to upload it.Thanks

5. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    That is easily fixable with a Power tune, I have the same engine and put 550 to the ground.

Bean Jr. and kay_ray Thank this.
  6. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    I hope your not basing a purchase solely on a dyno test. A truck purchase should also be about how much maintenance it has. Google the vin # to see what repairs it has had. Maintenance should be clearly documented. Then to do the other stuff. Does it pass a pretrip? What oil leaks does it have? Is there fresh paint on the engine with paint that has bled over to the fan belts or surrounding metal (poor mans coverup of other issues). What are the rubber bushings like? Do they need replacing? How much tread is on the tires? Crawl underneath. How long ago where the batteries replaced? Bad batteries is a cost not easy to take 6 months from now if and when it doesnt start. Look for cracks coming from where items are bolted from the inside to the outside of the cab. If anything call a state trooper to come and do a level one inspection on it. It is your money you are investing in a purchase.

The final trick? Sit in the truck until you are bored. When your bored your mind will start to see the things that you dont want to see.

D.Tibbitt, Lepton1, Bean Jr. and 3 others Thank this.
  7. Mid-May Trucker

Mid-May Trucker Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2018
    Go big or go home you're buying a truck to haul ### not make money.

kay_ray Thanks this.
  8. kay_ray

Jun 6, 2019
    its a fleet truck from a pretty good fleet that take care of their trucks .did have around 80%tire thread left on all tires front disc brakes are at 50 to 60% rears are at 80%.suspension system looks good.it does pass a pre trip and there are no visible oil leakes anywhere .the dealership did the steer tire balancing. changed oil and filter.no visible cracks on frame or body .batteries were putting out 14.1 v and 14 amps . ecm report have no major codes and everything looks good on it.oil sample report is attached if you want to take a look at it. it ll prob need a rear brake drum on one side in 2-3 months with the front brake pads and maybe dpf cleaning from pittsburg powerhouse in a year .

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. kay_ray

Jun 6, 2019
    oil sample

Attached Files:

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    Looks good Kay-Ray. See your still on the hunt for that truck. What truck is that Cummins in?

Lepton1 and kay_ray Thank this.
  11. kay_ray

Jun 6, 2019
    2016 pete 579 will be buying it next week everything came good on it .

D.Tibbitt and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.