Is this illegal?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Trucking1212, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Trucking1212

Trucking1212 Bobtail Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Hello everyone! We recently received a proposal from a carrier that has 30 trucks and has USPS contracts. He received a good contract recently and does not have any available trucks to haul it. So he will pay us a rate per mile to do it, it will be for USPS with our logos. I am not sure if the BOL will come under our company or his. Is there anything illegal if the BOL comes under his company? Also, in order to pay us, he needs to receive the small slips that USPS gives out when making a delivery, but at this point I am not sure whos name will be there. I have a meeting with him tomorrow to find out, but I doubt that there is anything illegal as USPS should not take any haul or load a truck if the name does not match, am I correct? Please advise

Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Sounds like you would be a sub-contractor working for him. Whether the post office would be kool with it depends on how his contract is written. They might allow it and they might not. I recommend you read his deal to see for yourself, and make sure you also have a contract with him that spells out who does what, where, and when, plus the pay

Trucking1212 Thanks this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    The way I understand it from USPS is that subcontracting has to be qualified and then has to receive the contracted rate for each driver - I think it is $22.50 an hour.

I had one of my trucks doing overflow work because is was leased to USPS directly, and each load was hourly broke down to a dollar per mile rate because of the lease contract. We were puzzled until we looked at the settlement report and it was all there, at a rate of $22.50 plus money for the truck.

rabbiporkchop and Trucking1212 Thank this.
  5. belowspeedlimit

belowspeedlimit Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Oil country
    Pay seems too low for truck and driver.

6. StrongArm

StrongArm Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2014
    New York, NY
    That's the rate paid or that must be paid to the driver only. Ive seen contractors advertising that rate of pay for company drivers in my area.

7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    My cousin hauls mail for a dedicated mail outfit like that. I'm pretty sure that's what his hourly is, but it's also a flat rate, the runs should take 8 hours so that's what he is paid, even if it takes him 9 to do it, etc.. So I'm sure the company receives money for the equipment on top of the drivers wage.

8. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Freight brokers do a fake BOL and send it over to the truck drivers all the time. Its called blind bol. It's to keep the receiver in the blind from knowing where it really came from, supposedly.

99% of shipping papers filled out DOT and other police could care less what it says. At least from my experience from driving since 1999. Now oversized and hazmat is a different story.

9. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    If it has a time stamp on it they'll take a keen interest. I censor that info with a sharpie.

10. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    Always, remember that nothing is illegal until you get caught!

Robert Grey Thanks this.
  11. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    Look to see if the company dealing between you and the USPS has broker authority or not. If he does not, you may be better to lease to the company or deal with USPS directly yourself.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.