Is this load ready to go?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by TravR1, Jan 22, 2022.

1. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    What is that extra strap on the back pallet doing? Sure looks like nothing to me

cke Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Keeping the pallet from walking back while also providing down pressure.

4. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    It's barely touching the top of one corner. The edge protector is not quite holding the whole stack on the other side.

And why are you using edge protection in some places but not others?

cke and TravR1 Thank this.
  5. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    The first stack is very difficult to get at. It's stacked very high.

Each strap touches the wood in like 3 different places on each side. It looks like I would need about 6 protectors for each strap. I just don't have that many.

If I need to go to a TS and buy more, I will.

Still waiting for the securement guy to call me back.

singlescrewshaker, cke and Kyle G. Thank this.
  6. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    Looks pretty good after you added more straps. I’d get a weight, maybe a couple straps if I needed them and roll. I’d be watching it like crazy though.

7. kylefitzy

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Not my load.

8. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    When you are at shippers and receivers, truck stops, your company yard, etc., always keep an eye out for junk laying around that you can take and use. I’m not saying start stealing stuff, but if you see a bunch of cardboard edge protectors sitting in a recycling bin, grab them. I’ve picked up all kinds of weird stuff that comes in handy. Edge protectors, pieces of broken strap, little blocks of wood, carpet squares, etc.

Sometimes I will load up reels of wire and one of them will have a loose wrapper. I will pull it off and cut it up, there’s a couple dozen edge protectors right there.

PS., who is the securement guy?

9. kylefitzy

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    It’s not my money, it’s probably not even your money, if you get reimbursed. But I hate to see guys waste money on five dollar edge protectors at the truckstop when you could go to a utility trailer dealer or even some truck dealerships and get the same thing for two bucks. Same goes for straps.

I personally don’t use plastic edge protectors, I find they break if you use them on anything other than perfectly square loads. I pick up rubber mudflaps from the curb line at your nearest truckstop. take a razor blade and cut them into 6 inch wide pieces. Even if you have to buy new Rubber mudflaps they’re cheaper than plastic edge protectors. I was at Kenworth in North Salt Lake last week picking up a truck, and they had 30 inch rubber mudflaps for like six dollars.

10. IH Truck Guy

IH Truck Guy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Purgatory
    Or hit up your local gravel pit.
    They sometimes have old rolls of conveyor belt that you can get for next to nothing.

11. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    He's the guy we call with questions, run stuff by him. He's retired. He just does stuff at the yard now.

He said it looks about as good as it can and swing by the yard for more protectors.

20220123_130133.jpg

That's what the scale told me. Lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.