Is this ok? (chaining)

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Woodys, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Woodys

Woodys Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    Picked up 2x backhoes from united rentals going to ritchie bros. This was my first time chaining by myself without instructions. I just want to see if what I did was ok, or if you have any tips for next time. Basically, I used a single chain for the front and a single chain for the back of each backhoe, but I'm not sure that Im allowed to do that lol. Each backhoe weighs 16k.

20190219_175615_HDR.jpg

20190219_175556_HDR.jpg

OLDSKOOLERnWV Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Road Train Member

Mar 6, 2017
    PA
    Nope. I'll let someone else explain more, but there's nothing keeping it from walking off a side.

Tb0n3, BigCam9670 and Woodys Thank this.
  4. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

Pamela1990, Lepton1, brsims and 3 others Thank this.
  5. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    I’m assuming you have it like that in all 4 corners of each backhoe. I can’t tell on my phone but it appears that the chain is pulling on itself..... in other words it’s not attached to anything on the trailer.....

6. nikmirbre

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    You can use a single chain but you must have 4 separate binders.... 1 at each corner

7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Next time, attach your binders to the trailer, rather than both hooks to the chain. That way you’ll be making two tiedowns out of one chain and the slack will be in the middle.

okiedokie, stwik, Hulld and 4 others Thank this.
  8. Woodys

Woodys Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    Best place to attach the binders are on the stake pocket correct? Im parked for the night so I can fix it.

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    KInda.

You have absolutely nothing to stop it from coming off the deck to the side.

I see that you have run what appears to be a nice long chain across the deck to the other corner with a binder on it. I would add two or three more on all 4 corners.

I used to haul a ford F550 backhoe and what we did was wrap the outside axle shrouding on the front end many times and then bound it to the trailer below. 4 different ways. It's not going anywhere on that end. The backhoe end however... we put whatever we can put on there. And generally had no trouble because of how the trailer is built, it really had no place to "Work loose" all chains have a loop designed to keep adding pull on itself if something tried to pull away. Makes sense?

Theoratically God can pick up the whole thing and flip it upside down and it should stay on the deck. Should being the operative word because any link is a failure point on any one chain. That's why you add two three or four more.

Woodys Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You can do the welded stake pocket.

But DO NOT put anything at all on that outside rub rail. It absolutely WILL NOT HOLD. There was a way of looping the chain hook from the bottom of the stake pocket inside up top, wrap once and hook up top so that gravity will hold it there barring anything else. Follow the chain back to whatever you are securing.

What you can do is put one binder hook onto the object being secured and use the excess chain with a extra binder to create a sort of a failsafe.

Im one of those people who are paranoid about securement, I put on everything I possess and build in where possible two or more chain that does nothing but act as a fail safe. (This includes straps.)

I have no formal training in chain working strengths or straps 4 inch wide strength. All I know is that 4000 pounds is a good number and you multiply chain until it's possible for God to pick up the whole thing and it's going to stay secured.

Tombstone69 and Woodys Thank this.
  11. nikmirbre

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Yes... put chain on the machine and run binder from stake pocket to looped chain that’s on the machine. Do the same on all 4 corners and the slack of the chain will be in the center....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.