Is this right?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by darinmac38, May 17, 2019.

1. darinmac38

darinmac38 Light Load Member

Feb 2, 2019
    My "trainer" who I've mentioned before has me logout "off duty" the second we arrive at any destination. Not on duty, not driving, but off duty. This causes my driving hours to often rest to 8 hours because more than an hour goes by at these stops. However, while at these stops, what am I doing? dealing with shippers, brokers, unhooking, hooking, entering all paperwork into system for the company, closing doors and sealing trailer and then planning next route, etc. Well I'm not long term seasoned trucker, but to me, "off duty" implies, I am laying down sleeping, grabbing a burger down the road, watching television. Off duty means what it says?

And why is he doing this? Can it mean more actual driving hours? The first day we went out, I was on the hook from 6am to 12:45am the next #### day. I asked him, "isn't there at 14 hour rule. (I know the laws) he says to me, "well remember those two one hour stops where you logged off duty, it stops the clock" Ok, well, dumb F, I was working my ### off at those stops.

Now the "trainer" wants to take me on a two week road trip around the USA. To do some 8000 plus miles.

He tells me I need to work on my "sleeping" at it's part of my evaluation. LMAO! I'm on the top bunk, being tossed about like a 3 pound rag doll. I'm talking like kicks to the kidney, blows to the face and neck, bounding a foot off the mattress, holding on not to flip off the bed for hours on end. What freaking human will sleep through that?

The pros, are, the guy seems cool. He's laid-back, etc. But then again, I guess I would too if I had a mule doing my job for me....lol.....But after the first outing, I feel like someone beat the living hell out me, literally went a week on 1-2 hours of sleep, no breaks, etc. And if we happen to stop during his drive to deliver, "you need all the practice for dealing with customers you can get" and so I get to get up, put on my shoes and deal with them, yep during the middle of my 10 hour "break" what does he do? relaxes on the truck. I unhook, hook, do all the paperwork and then resume my "break"

Should I say something? Heres the thing, yeah, I know I a new, but I am READY. I drove that truck perfectly and confidently in the most crazy situations for 9 days, for over 5000 miles and dealt with all aspects of everything. I feel ready for my own truck. Is there any chance the company will waive eight more weeks of this living hell and let my ride solo early?

No wonder these companies get sued all the time. Seriously. I was out there driving on several 15-18 hour clocks on no sleep. I got some serious grit to me and was able to suck it up, but I almost had to grab my bags and tap out a few times. It's not fair as I'll make one hell of a driver. I know I will. But this POS trainer is not giving me a fair chance.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Off duty is you have no responsibilities and if you are doing anything that pertains to truck or load you should be on duty not driving. If a DOT official sees you are logged of duty you can get the ticket, and the trainer will be just sitting there. Protect yourself, you are the one that does that. Sometimes you have to look the other way when wanting to work for these big companies, the bottom line is the only interest they have. Look at what they doing to all of us with asbestos conditions, making the lawyers rich and dragging stuff out until we are gone. Protect yourself.

4. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    What he is doing is have you conserve your weekly hour total. Being off-duty at the shipper or receiver does not extend your day, per se, although when combined with sleeper time it can.

As for legal, no, any time you are interacting with the shipper, receiver or doing any other "work" it is on-duty time. Now, that said, it is what many drivers do in the real world to keep hours available to drive, because if you are not driving you are not earning in most trucking jobs.

As for the sleeping arrangements, you should not be on the top bunk when the truck is moving, when parked sure, but not when moving. Most top bunks do not have DOT compliant restraint systems, and even when they do it is the worst place to rest or be in the event of an accident. You should have your sleeping bag on top of his bedding on the lower bunk if he is driving, only moving to the top bunk when the truck is parked and both of yo need to be in the sleeper.

Lastly, no you are not ready yet. 5,000 miles does not even come close to preparing you, that is why these training scenarios are 8 to 10 weeks long. It gives you more time to adjust to the lifestyle, because what you are facing with the interrupted sleep and screwy scheduling is the norm in over the road trucking. Plus, in the real world 5,000 miles isn't even two full weeks of experience -would you be comfortable with a pilot that only had two weeks of experience flying you home?

Work with the trainer to fix the sleeping arrangements and voice your concern over the false logs. Although it is common practice out here, you are correct that is is illegal. If you can't come to an agreement with your trainer ask for a different trainer, but beware they may not be any better -especially if the culture at your company is one that promotes this type of abuse.

5. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Well logging off duty for only an hour does not actually stop your clock, you have to be off duty or sleeper berth for 8 hours to stop the clock, unless I've been told wrong, you should get it off driving asap though. Log it how you know is legal and screw him, it's your logs and your ### on the line if something happens.

6. pmdriver

Nov 14, 2017
    Top bunk sleeping while another driving, bad bad idea, fast stop you out the windshield and you will never get any rest.

7. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    You shouldn’t be sleeping on the top bunk while your trainer is driving.. You could end up dead real quick.

Lepton1 and brian991219 Thank this.
  8. pmdriver

Nov 14, 2017
    A cool guy would be looking out for your safety and teaching you the correct way of logging. Call the safety dept. and discuss this with them.

9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    So when is he training?

I thought those trainers were actually training, not having you drive and he takes the wheel,as if this was a team truck?

10. darinmac38

darinmac38 Light Load Member

Feb 2, 2019
    I mean he's training as in offering tips and tricks of the trade and mostly how to deal with the computer, trip planing, where to stop, etc. I'm fine pulling his weight and his duties if I can get some proper rest. I'm not some whiney wimp here.

11. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Aren't you running elogs? You start at 6am you stop at 8pm. Only 8 consecutive hours in the sleeper stops the 14 hr clock. Your trainer needs to go to log class. He is going to get you both in hot water.

RERM and Flat Earth Trucker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.