is this the right way or wrong way to haul flatbed trailers

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by texas rattler, Jan 11, 2012.

1. snowman01

snowman01 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2011
    North Carolina
    I always used both. I chained though the front and back rails on the second trailer in opposing directions like a steel coil or a container then threw a strap over the top.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowman01

Sep 27, 2011
    North Carolina
    If I hauled them 2 high I belly wrapped them as well as front and back strapped. I always had a strap on every trailer although I've seen a bunch with none on the middle but I'm anal about this. It takes only a few minutes to throw a strap.

4. snowman01

Sep 27, 2011
    North Carolina
    Yup but I had only one chain in the back and one in the front exactly like you have here and straps for the rest with a belly strap. I've hauled container chassis tied down thusly and never had them move on me.

5. snowman01

Sep 27, 2011
    North Carolina
    Straps shouldn't unless the trailer has sharp edges on it. I always felt safer using chains for the front and the back angled and then a few straps on each trailer with the top trailer belly wrapped.

6. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

So your saying strait down is ok? :biggrin_2559: Slam on the brakes or hit something....then let me know what its like to have 2 trailers on top of you:biggrin_2559:.

American Trucker

7. snowman01

Sep 27, 2011
    North Carolina
    No kidding. With a container set on a flatbed I used front and back chains in opposing directions and then a couple of straps over the top. Anything put on a flatbed is better with at least one front and back rope on it. Can't think of too many things that I hauled without some type of front and back securement although I was pretty anal. Then again, I never had load move one inch on me.

8. driverkc

driverkc Light Load Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Kansas City, KS
    I gather your a tailgater, and need to hard brake. So maybe you should go the extra mile and effort in load securement.

9. bighaulc-15

bighaulc-15 Light Load Member

Apr 24, 2012
    new albany IN
    i work for a companie that unloads trailers for mercer all the time and i have seen 100 diff ways to secure those things, ive seen straps, straps and chains, chains, its all personal preference.

10. woupsman

woupsman Bobtail Member

Feb 20, 2012
    White Oak Texas
    So your saying strait down is ok? :biggrin_2559: Slam on the brakes or hit something....then let me know what its like to have 2 trailers on top of you:biggrin_2559:.

Read what he said. If you chain the axles of the trailer down to trailer below it then chain front of trailer down it is not going anywhere. So there is no reason to get fancy like he said.

11. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    why shouldn't straight down be ok.

On top of the required 1 strap or chain for every 10 feet, you also have the actual trailer brakes to assist in keeping it in place forward/backward in anything but the most extreme situation.

Boardhauler Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.