Is this worth it?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Ghriszly, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Ghriszly

Ghriszly Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2017
    I recently signed on with werner and am in training now. Ive got about 100 hours done out of 275 they say are required but i just cant stand this anymore.

Im on my second trainer now and both have had me breaking the law. When i point out the problems they say its no big deal and not to worry. On top of that i cant get any quality sleep. I cant sleep while the truck is moving and my trainers have snored so loud i cant sleep with it sitting still either. I signed up for solo not teams. I have been so tired im dozing off at the wheel and when i ask if i can pull over for a quick nap they tell me i have to keep driving.

My last trainer had lights out and the glad hand grommets were torn to shreds. This time im driving in california with the tandems slid back and my trainer wont allow me to slide them to the legal spot. He insists theyre as far forward as they can go but i know how to slide tandems. They are certainly not forward. Werner even has a dot on the trailer to show you where they need to be. Both trainers have had me fudging logs as well.

I could drive my full 11 hours from the start without issue. Not so much now that im constantly exhausted. I can also back the truck no problem and have been dealing with the shippers on my own. I am certaibly capable of handling a truck safely and doing the job but werner wont even consider testing me out yet.

Im going to call tomorrow and insist on being tested out so i can prove im ready but i already know they wont even consider it.

My question is should i just try and stick it through for another few weeks and hope things work out or should i try for another company?

Sorry for such a long post but i feel i should give all the information possible.

Toomanybikes Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Pick up a phone, start talking to safety and your DM. (Driver manager.) You are finished here until you are rested again which will take a couple of days to pay off your accumulated sleep bill and in addition learn about anti coercion laws.

You do things illegal only because YOU agree to. Stop it. Recently in the last few years laws have been written to help you stop being illegal.

Regarding california king pin distance to tandem trailer positioning, make sure that aft axle is in lime with your company marking on that trailer for california. But you are just a trainee. You have no authority against your trainer. Document everything and be specific when talking to safety and your DM.

There is no point in trying to go solo at this point. Company requires you to complete 275 hours so you shall complete it. That's approximately 5 to 6 weeks based on a 70 hour logged week. Remember that when you do get your first solo truck your schooling will continue for better or worse as you learn by doing.

If your trainer made a full team member out of you then there is money in that for them, not for you. A trainer should be training. Not running a team. Dispatch should allow that truck to mosey around the USA training rather than running as a full team.

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You're not ready. Sorry but you need to get this attitude that they can't tell you crap, safety first.

First off if anyone tells you to mess with your logs, call safety and ask them if it is alright to do so. Don't wait until you have a chance, make the call right in front of your trainer and get the names of anyone else at the company who said so and tell them. This is your cdl, protect by throwing scum under the bus.

Second you are in charge of that truck when you are in the drivers seat, so if you have defective equipment, then refuse to drive with it, or demand to get it fixed.

And if the guy is snoring so loud, I would also ask safety if they have a sleep apnea requirement to see if this guy should be checked.

All of this is something you have to stand up to, not take it, as I say there are no trainers, they are mentors at best and these companies just shove people in the cab with these poor drivers and expect them to learn something.

No body there is going to tell you safety is the first concern, and if you are falling asleep at the wheel, you are both unsafe and unfit to drive.

IAM KING, BUMBACLADWAR, Thull and 8 others Thank this.
  5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Oh how I wished I was at my PC right now.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Change companies. Where is your home location city/state? We can give you some ideas of which companies are better.

7. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I
    knew you would say that,changing companies will not fix the problem how. about giving the OP some positive advice.

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I just gave him some positive advice. He knows how to drive so he doesn't need to be with a training company driver mill. Time to move up to a big boy company. I know; you're a girl, so in your case it would be a big girl company!

DoubleO7 and bottomdumpin Thank this.
  9. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Werner will not let you test out early.You have 175 hrs left,you can do it.You're not the only student that's been thru is.I have as well as Werner and a few other companies.Once you get finished with training you'll be glad you stuck it out.Hang in there you only have a few short weeks left.

10. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    You gave him bad advice as usual.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You won't hear negative comments on trainers with high quality companies such as Freymiller or Magnum Ltd. and some others. Most cdl schools haven't heard of those companies. Trucks have Tripac APU, refrigerator, etc.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.