Is trucking worth it?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Solo Soul, Jun 9, 2021.

1. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    As much as I piss and moan,,,yes, it is. I couldn't imagine doing anything else, so I retired, ALTOGETHER. You're at a vulnerable spot. You know what you want, yet your head is probably spinning as to what to do next. Our resident Chinatown should be along directly to help, but his choices are many, and you need to focus on what you want to do. Local? Regional? OTR? Tanker, dump, van, reefer, flatbed,,,it gets kind of nuts, all with different results. By far, the most common entry level trucking job, is OTR with one the megas hand unloading at "Dollar General". Trouble with newbies, they want the best right away, can't blame them, but it takes a while to fit in, 30% quit within 90days, almost half within a year, so turnover is high. Good luck, it's still the only thing I would ever do again,,,when pigs fly,,,good luck, pal.

Solo Soul and frmerdrslmer Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hazmat Cat

Hazmat Cat Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    oh we’ll change that

Solo Soul, jason6541 and 201 Thank this.
  4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    You know, I loved it until I HAD to do it. My biggest problem was, I tried to do everything, O/O, husband, father, homeowner, and failed miserably at all of them. Simplify, man,,,

5. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    It takes about a year to get comfortable with the truck,by then you will know if it's what you want to do.
    And if it isn't keep you license, you may need it thirty years later like me.

frmerdrslmer, Solo Soul and jason6541 Thank this.
  6. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Get all endorsements and no Lease purchase. I can’t give you any other advice I grew up with a trucking family and been driving g trucks on the farm and such since I could see over the wheel.
    Been a good life for going on 33 years. Only test I took was my written. I now own 3 trucks and trailers and home on weekends or whenever I chose. Never been a company driver so can’t help you there. Do research and stay away from the predators in this industry. Good luck study for haz mat as well

Speed_Drums and Solo Soul Thank this.
  7. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    He has no idea what the mega #### box fleets have in store for him. He will be the fresh meat waiting to be run thru the grinder unfortunately. I hear all kinds of first hand crap these shady #### companies do.

Solo Soul Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You can attend a private cdl school or attend a trucking company school.~
    Wilson Logistics is big in the Pacific Northwest and has their own cdl training.
    `
    Wilson Logistics
    www.wilsonlogistics.com
    Wilson Logistics. A family-owned trucking company that knows our drivers as well as we know our customers. Check Out All We Have To Offer.

Solo Soul Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Solo Soul Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Tuition-free CDL Driving Academy - Truck Driver Jobs ...
    • 100% paid healthcare for you AND your family
    • [​IMG]
    Get Paid to Train: Four Weeks at a YELLOW CDL Driving Academy
    The CDL training program consists of classroom instruction and behind the wheel training with an experienced instructor in preparation for the State Class A CDL Skills and Road Testing. Academy classes meet 8-hours a day, 5-days a week for 4 weeks. Company paid travel and accommodations are provided (if you are over an hour from home) and you will earn an hourly wage while you train.

Solo Soul Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    No, check some others first. Do some comparisons with other companies, then decide.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    Solo Soul Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.