Is UPS Still $38/Hr.

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Davo53209, Aug 25, 2021.

1. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    So $4 an hour is the difference between sinking and swimming?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    @LtlAnonymous
    What were the working conditions at ABF like that makes working at UPS a breeze?

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

The absolute sheer driving force of our national economy - without truck drivers, our entire national economy would come to an absolute standstill - if not outright be dead.
    [​IMG]
    Over the mountains, through the woods, into the valleys, coast to coast, from sea to shining sea - truck drivers can and do go anywhere and everywhere, every day, every night, all year round.

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  4. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    I was on-call 24/7/365 for five years, because the 2013 contract lowered the amount of freight that had to be set aside for bids. I quit right around the time I would've gotten a bid because I was just so done with the lifestyle.

The time off was handled all wrong, too. You worked 6 straight tours, you got 48 hours off. Doesn't sound like the worst thing ever until you realize that if you were on the day shift and punched out at 5 p.m., when you come back 48 hours later, you're now on the night shift.

The level of long-term fatigue I felt by the end of my time at ABF can't be described. I felt like I was always sleepwalking. I was angry. I was massively overweight because my job ruled my life.

I come here, and sure I was on-call. But it was just Monday through...well, Saturday morning. I had set days off, even if some weeks were a little messy with a last-minute Saturday morning hot load.

The people are great here, even most of management. We're here to get the job done, and that's what we do.

When I was seasonal, the money was about the same for five days of work compared to six days at ABF. Of course, that got much worse when I was hired full-time, but...you just had to grin and bear it. The vow of poverty was just part of the gig at the time. At least you got weekends off, ya know?

So to summarize, it was mainly the time off and lifestyle at ABF. If I could have gotten a turn bid where I'd be home every day? Even if I had to work six days, I'd probably still be there. But after 5 years of 24/7/365 on-call, I was just DONE.

5. classicxl

classicxl Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2006

$25 - $19 is $6 a hr difference and i work 11.5 hrs every day so with ot i make $25.09 a hr .Being new guy at ups at least here you never know if you will even get work everyday never mind ot . $6 is a big difference between being able to pay my mortgage,car loan other debts or not being able to .Being single no wife or girlfriend i can’t count on someone else’s income filling in the gap in pay

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  6. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    I was responding to the $23 base pay from this post. But I guess after OT it's $25.

...in that case, I make $44 an hour. Nice.

And pardon me if I’m wrong about this, I thought UPS is starting out at $21.50 an hour now? I could definitely be wrong about that. I just thought that was the case.

Midwesttrucker and Radman Thank this.
  7. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    And yes, being the new guy sucks. It's not for everyone. But if you can get through the beginning, you're all set.

Radman and p608 Thank this.
  8. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    If someone doesn’t have the ability to look atleast 5 years down the road they probably shouldn’t try to hire on at UPS. Usually it doesn’t take 5 years for most people to realize a major improvement in their income and benefits. It definitely isn’t for everyone, but those people who can hold out won’t be short of money the rest of their career. It can definitely be a huge hit initially for many people. In my opinion most things in life that are worth anything come with some form of sacrifice.

9. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    Things got about as dark as things can get financially, and then they got better, then they got good, then they got life-changingly amazing. It was unquestionably worth it. Just took a while to get here. Lol

Midwesttrucker, Radman and Banker Thank this.
  10. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    $28.50 an hour bumped to $37 hr starting but hearing it’s temporary and will drop back to 28.50 hr for new hires. Far from poverty wages.

11. classicxl

classicxl Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2006
    that great that you get $44 ot pay but not every hub is the same and the concord driver i talked to said ups is known to get rid of drivers right at probation and they don’t always work a full week . so new guys aren’t always getting it ot and would be stuck at $19 a hr .The add for concord hub which is the big one around toronto ad said $19 a hr for feeder driver not $21 . i seen another ad for caledon ontario hub was the same money . i understand being in a union you have to start at the bottom but i’m sorry $19 a hr for someone like me with 13 years experience and clean record is a slap in the face in my opinion .Purolator even start drivers at $25.88 then $32.40 after 12 months and there a union shop . Maybe in 2023 when i’m 100% debt free i can’t relook at ups but not right now .

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    jmz Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.