Isolated bushing replacement cost?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Nick87, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Nick87

Nick87 Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2020
    Hey guys I have a bunch of play in my shifter and want to replace the bushing. Anyone know what a shop is going to charge for that?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chubby Fly

Chubby Fly Medium Load Member

Nov 25, 2019
    what year model and make is your truck. Reason i ask is becuase on trucks like mine which is a 379 pete, its easy. Just remove the shifter plate and the air lines off the shifter. once the shifter plate is removed, there are 2 bolts that hold shifter to shifter tower. Remove those, and pull the shifter off the tower. To remove the old bushing, use your heat and heat that old rubber bushing out of their. Then tap the new one in and then your are done. OR take to a shop and will take 1 hour and cost 90 bucks i guess. ill bet your bushing is fine though. They last many many many miles. ITs the shifter tower itself that goes bad and creates a ton of slop. I think those cost around 200 bucks. Thats just as easy to swap out.

4. Nick87

Nick87 Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2020
    It's a 2005 kenworth t600 just over 1million miles on it.

5. Chubby Fly

Nov 25, 2019
    ok so you should be able to access the shifter bolts. That many miles it probably needs both an isolater and a new shifter tower. Or it may still be one or the other take the floor plate off before you taking it to a shop and put the truck in gear. Move the shifter around and see where the slop is coming from. See if the slop is at the bushing area itself or see if its the shifter tower.
    The link below is your shifter tower which is mated to the shift bar housing on top of trans. The rod on top of the shifter tower with bolt hole is where your shifter and bushing sits on. you will probably have to revove the bolt and shifter to see if that moves around while truck in gear. If it is, replace it. Your truck will feel brand spankin new. They wear out
    S1967 New Genuine Eaton Fuller SHIFT LEVER HOUSING ASSEMBLY Mid Tower OEM S-1967 | eBay

6. Nick87

Nick87 Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2020
    Thanks I think I'll just replace the tower itself they
    Thanks chubby much appreciated!

7. Chubby Fly

Nov 25, 2019
    no problem just check it all out first. easy to do

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.