Issue With My Trailer Lights

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by The NFI Gremlin, Jan 22, 2016.

1. The NFI Gremlin

The NFI Gremlin Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I'm having some issues with my trailer lights. The clearance lights up top & license late light come on jusy fine. The brake lights and turn signals also come on when applied. But the running lights/parking lights won't come on. Ive checked all my fuses over twice, wiggled the pigtail every which way I could, even purchased a new one to see if thay was the issue. But I can't get my lights to come on. I'm under a time criticial load that's already behind schedule. So I'm trying to get rolling as soon as I can.

All info that might matter:
    I'm driving an 09 Prostar. I had an issue with the trailer license plate light a couple days ago and had it replaced. Had a bad connection in a head light at the same time as the trailer license plate, wiggled that back working and is still working. I have a fog lamp out, that has beenI out for a few days. The trailer is a Wabash manufactured in November 2011.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. The Admiral

The Admiral Heavy Load Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Akron,Ohio
    If you do not have a test light, I would get one. Start at the tractor pigtail plug. If the tractor has a female plug for the pigtail check that. If you can get to the back of the female trailer plug check that. If all that is OK go to the back of the trailer and locate the junction box. Make sure you have power in and power out.

4. tony97905

tony97905 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2015
    Land of Ahhhhhs
    You can add a small piece of wire in your light cord end between the black and brown and that should get you going if the issue is on the truck side.

5. The NFI Gremlin

The NFI Gremlin Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2016
    It is truck side. Sun is up now, rolling now.

6. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Not sure about your trailer, but on many trailers there are small breakers mounted on the back of the female receptacle that sometimes get corroded, or fail. One could also jump the brown and black wire there.

mhyn Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.