Issues??? with Palomar 225 Amp

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Gotbrains23, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Gotbrains23

Gotbrains23 Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Hello all
    I have a General Lee with a Browning antenna. I just recently bought the Palomar 225 amp. I have it hooked up correct - triple checked.
    I posted a video below describing the issue Im having....if any??
    Also I live about 18 miles from a Flying J & Loves, and can't get anyone to give me a radio check.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Ive never run an amp so I really don't know what I'm doing, per say.

[​IMG]

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Turbo-T

Turbo-T Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    Not sure about why it gets quieter with the pre amp on or why the lights come on when they shouldn't, unless some golden screwdriver hacknicians been inside that amp.

As for why not a radio check, it can be a number of reasons, trucker antennas are not that great and most of them don't hear very far, could also be your SWR's going high with the amp on - that has happened to me before.

Can you get a radio check with the amp off?

4. Gotbrains23

Gotbrains23 Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Thans for the reply bud
    Yea I'm gonna take it back where I got it and get them to fix it
    I'm not convinced that its putting out any power either

And yea the radio works #### good without the amp

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  5. cadillacdude1975

cadillacdude1975 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    it sounds like the preamp transistor is blown. its about a 5 dollar fix. there also might be a few other issues with the amp too. you need to get it checked out. that radio might be overdriving that small amp. i had a general lee like that before and it was mean. my brother now has it and is using it to drive his fatboy 6 pill amp with great results.

Big_m Thanks this.
  6. Big_m

Big_m Heavy Load Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Central Maryland
    Unless is General Lee his putting out less than 5 watts he is over driving that small amp BIG TIME!

7. cadillacdude1975

cadillacdude1975 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    and 5 might be hitting it a little too hard. the radios i run with amps always have variable power so i turn the power all the way down then key the radio. i then turn the power up slowly and when i hear the linear key, i stop right there. in the case of smaller amps, less is always more. the less dead key you throw to the amp, the greater the swing and i like mine to swing like a tire hung from a rope :)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.