ISX crankcase filter?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by earnies2, Apr 27, 2020.

1. earnies2

earnies2 Medium Load Member

May 17, 2012
    Dedham, MA.
    Can you run without a crankcase filter?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wtokhi

wtokhi Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2017
    they sell a crankcase filter that is one time, it is an update, you put it in and never worry about it, its called the no maintennace

Doealex and baha Thank this.
  4. earnies2

May 17, 2012
    Dedham, MA.
    Th as t wasn't my question
    Can I run without one?

wtokhi Thanks this.
  5. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    The crankcase filter catches the little droplets of oil borne on the gasses created by the same oil sloshing and whipping around in the crankcase. There is a replaceable filter that uses an element to trap the oil and allow it to trickle back to the crankcase, this filter also traps some dirt. There is a one time replacement filter that uses a distillation technique (for lack of a better term) that allows gases to pass through but the oil drips back down to the crankcase.
    If you run without either of these, the atomized oil and gasses would probably just coat the underside of your hood and engine. Great for rust prevention, maybe, but not for keeping things clean.

Short answer: you probably *could*, but why would you want to? They aren't *that* expensive. If you're not willing to pay for a part that's meant to be replaced at quasi specific intervals, what other maintenance issues are you not willing to pay for?

6. earnies2

May 17, 2012
    Dedham, MA.
    Th he problem is I am on the road I have a rear structure leak and I noticed oil in the hot side of my CAC wich I believe is being caused by the filter needing to be changed. I am heading to the house ware I intend on repairing the rear structure and filter plus s new oil pan I just font want to go to the dealership and buy one..I will buy one online and have it at the house when I get there...

7. wtokhi

wtokhi Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2017
    sure but it might set off a crankcase pressure code since the sensor would know the pressures are off

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.