Isx cummins lift pump

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Illini217, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Illini217

Illini217 Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2018
    I have a 07 Pete with isx cm 870 Lift pump is not functioning. I only have 10 v going to it from wireing harness. I ve taken pump off and have put 12v to it and works fine. Wondering if I have an ecm issue. If anybody can help would appreciate a ton thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    The lift pump relay should be tied to the Cummins side engine harness. Check the relay and pins for moisture or corrosion or swap it with a known good one. If the relay does have bad contacts you might consider throwing a new pump on for good measure. They don't run forever, and as with any electric motor when they get worn they draw more current. Check pin 30 at the relay and see if the voltage is still low. If it is you need to trace upstream as you have a poor connection or green wire somewhere in the power supply to the relay. Not likely a blown fuse or ECM because you stated there 10VDC there at key on.

What Model Pete are we working on?

HTH

4. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    The ECM does not directly power the pump. The ECM triggers the lift pump relay. If you are only getting 10 volts at the lift pump then the ecm is working, the relay is working and you have a bad power supply. Power for the 30 terminal of the relay comes from the ECM power supply harness, then goes through a 10 amp fuse. Locate and check the relay and fuse for corrosion and see if you have a good 12 volts at the fuse. They will be tied to the engine harness near the ECM. If not, you can just get battery from somewhere else and wire into the fuse for your power.

pushbroom and spsauerland Thank this.
  5. Illini217

Illini217 Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2018

6. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    Any thoughts on my current situation?
    2009 Cummins ISX CM871 communication error? or not?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.