ISX FUEL PUMP DISINTEGRATION

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by StormShadow, May 21, 2018.

1. StormShadow

StormShadow Bobtail Member

May 21, 2018
    I have a 2015 Kenworth T680 with a 550 ISX. I had started to notice that my oil pressure was starting to get lower and lower, with the gauge reading sporadically. Replaced the oil pressure sensor thinking it would solve the problem of the gauge jumping around. Something didn't feel right so I brought my truck to Cummins. Apparently the fuel pump let go, throwing metal shavings into the motor via the engine oil. It made it past the oil screen and worked it's way into the lower half of the motor, trashing the rods and mains, the crankshaft, and a few other things. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Any recalls or campaigns that would apply to this problem? Any help would be appreciated!

Mike W.

Justchilling247, disoba and Oldironfan Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Crude Truckin'

Crude Truckin' Alien Spacecraft

Oct 22, 2016
    North Dakota, Eh?
  4. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    All you have to do is fire up Google. This is, and has been, a known issue. Hope you have a very large break down fund set aside. Generally, from what I have read, the fix is to replace the engine completely. On your dime.

Good luck to you.

Alba, Oldironfan and Crude Truckin' Thank this.
  5. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Sorry to say but I had a conversation with a car hauler I know who went thru the same issue.
    Totally ruined his entire motor and cost him a new engine and $34,000.00 of his own money to get it up and running again.
    Pure ######## design that’s for sure.

Oldironfan and Crude Truckin' Thank this.
  6. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    The Signature 600 and ISX15 are the worst motors Cummins has ever made.

Cummins has known about this problem since the 2012 MY, but has refused to issue a recall.

The only thing is to see if there's a class action lawsuit regarding this problem and join it.

Unfortunately, the repair of your engine is going to be on your own dime.........lots and lots of them.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    Oldironfan Thanks this.
  7. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    You can try to see if you can get policy on it. If you are the original owner and purchased the extended warranty, lots of times cummins will pay at least some of the bill. If it is a 2nd owner truck, probably not going to get anything.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  8. CraigInReston

CraigInReston Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    I'm sorry my friend. I feel for you... I'm going through an inframe with the older 871 right now. A friend of mine has your engine, and the exact same thing happened to him. Fuel pump gear shaved off and did catastrophic damage. He only had 225,000miles on last inframe. Apparently he had no coverage, as it was considered an accessory component, which was never checked or advised him to change. He ended up buying a used 450 ISX w/200,000miles and installing for approx. $24,000. Hope we have better luck with these money-pits in the future.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  9. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Someone is not happy.

10. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    How long, how many miles did you drive it from the time you noticed the oil pressure gauge dancing, until you went to Cummins?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.