ISX injectors and overhead

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by HoneyBadger67, Nov 24, 2019.

1. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    So... I find myself with fuel in my oil and, after doing my due diligence, it seems the common consensus says I need to replace one or more injectors. I figured I'd just replace all of them once I open Pandora's box and save myself some hassle down the road. Mostly I don't know how to tell which one(s) is/are bad and doing all of them seems easiest.

My question is: just how difficult is this job? I've watched Rawze' videos on doing the overhead and there doesn't seem to be much to it as long as you have a couple different torque wrenches. But then 'someone' told me I'd have to be careful about cam wedges? Will I have to set the timing after replacing injectors?

I'm really about doing things for and by myself if and whenever possible. I'm not to keen on screwing things up because I'm too cheap. I've never cracked open a diesel, just stuck to doing things like shocks, brakes, whatever.

With slightly more brains than is required to know I'm not supposed to throw feces at others, what might my chances be of successfully replacing injectors and setting overhead be?

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Def something id be asking on his website, since it’s the go to Isx forum! But I’m not sure about the wedges and retiming but I will say, a while back I chased my tail with fuel in oil on a n14. I replaced injectors and heads. All along it was my fuel pump. But on the Isx, the fuel pump is more isolated than on the n14 sharing space and oil with the air compressor. So maybe it’s not the fuel pump- but just to throw that out there.

Cabinover101 Thanks this.
  4. HoneyBadger67

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN

I had originally thought it might be the pump mainly because there was fuel seeping on the left (driver's side) of motor. Not a lot, just enough to make the side of the engine dirty. (it doesn't seem to be seeping there anymore).
    Everything on here (and people I've actually spoken to) says injectors, though. I only know I can't go down the road with a crankcase full of fuel and even changing all the injectors has to be cheaper than an oil change once a week.

HopeOverMope Thanks this.
  5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I recommend taking your engine serial number and starting your free Cummins Online account and get the proper service information for your engine.

6. HoneyBadger67

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    Where might I find said SN if the tag is missing from the rocker cover?

7. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    What truck? VIN? ESN should also be located on the ECM. Non commonrail correct? Hot side or cold side EGR valve?

My guess is you have a CM871.

HoneyBadger67 and spsauerland Thank this.
  8. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Have you priced the injectors?

9. HoneyBadger67

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    EGR...hmmmmmm
    I found out that it is, most likely, an 871.
    I'll look for the ECM shortly.

10. HoneyBadger67

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    Very pricey! Nearly $800/each plus core. I was ready for 5, maybe $600 per, but the 750-ish almost had me changing my shorts.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.