Isx rocker question...

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by unapez, Nov 19, 2017.

1. unapez

unapez Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Hello. I have a 2006 isx 435, which just passed 800k miles. Jake's dont work and valves seemed to tick a lot, so I pulled the cover to adjust valve clearance. After all adjusted, it still ticks.

I started the engine with the cover off, and pushed the button on the front jake solenoid, oil shoots out of the bottom of solenoid. Push button on rear one, I get nothing. Not sure what's up.

Other thing I noticed is that the rear 3 cylinders have TONS of oil pouring onto the cam lobes when running. The front 3 cylinders have some oil, but not gushing like the rear. Can someone point me in the right direction to fix Jake's and correct other issues?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In

4. spsauerland

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Ticking you here is probably wore out detents on engine brake rockers/ wore out elongated holes in rocker shaft. Kinda norm for EGR engine with those miles. Pretty much have to pull everything apart/ inspect, clean all oil passages and replace worn component s. Don't be surprised to find flaking cam lobes and rocker rollers. Best of luck.

5. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    You stated that you adjusted the valves clearances. The injector adjustment and Jake adjustment should also be performed. If you decide to tackle the injector set-up make sure you have a quality inch-lb calibrated torque wrench or you'll get things all screwed up. If the Jakes are just weak this may help. If you have no actuation at all you most likely have an electrical issue -clutch or brake switch hanging up or showing depressed in the ECM is the most common issue depending on the chassis. Does the cruise work?

Which cam has the low oil flow, injector or valve? Take a close look at the cam bearings I have seen them spin on higher mileage engines.You may have an oil flow issue to the rockers, any excessive wear? Oil pressure running normal?

Oxbow Thanks this.
  6. unapez

unapez Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2017
    I adjusted the intake, exhaust and injectors. Didn't touch the Jake rockers, other than check to see if detent still holds them in place. I used a beam style wrench on the injectors, at 70 in/lbs. They all adjusted to about 3/16th of a turn down. I marked them with a paint marker before adjustment.

Oil pressure is 15 at idle and 32-35 At highway speed, when hot.

Cruise works. Using cummins insite, ecm is turning Jake's on/off and switch is working. I figure it's a solenoid issue.

I wouldn't say it looks like a low oil flow issue to the front 3 cylinders, but instead too much oil to rear 3. Btw, this oil flow I was referring to is on the intake/exhaust cam side.

Also all rollers and cams look good, smooth and clean, no pitting or even discolored. It looks like the front int/exh rockers have been replaced at some point, they look different than the rear slightly.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  7. spsauerland

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Check intebrake rockers for wear where cap, snap ring holds piston in. They do sell tune-up kit for the intebrake rockers.

8. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    With oil pouring on the back 3 cylinders and not the front add to that they didn't try when you pushed the button on solenoid the rear isn't getting any oil. The supply oil is pouring out below it. Take it loose and see what's going on with it

Oxbow Thanks this.
  9. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    When engine oil gets sooty due to egr that soot has to end up somewhere. You likely have soot deposits in the rocker shaft oil galleries blocking someone of that oil flow. It would be a good idea to take the shafts and rockers all off, mark them for position, and give everything a good thorough cleaning and ensure all those oil passages are clean and clear. Good soak in a parts cleaner over night and blow everything out real good might do the trick.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.