Isx15 smoking! Help

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Black389, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Black389

Black389 Light Load Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Indy
    Hello there guys. Ill try to explain as best as i can.

Its a 2015 pete 389 cummins isx15 had BW turbo and pdi intake manifold. Makes around 600ish hp to the wheels and 2100 tq

Picked up a load from indy was headed to Los Angeles and everything was fine until i stopped in Albuquerque at TA to fuel up. Got there let my egts drop, turned the truck off and fueled up, when i started it up i noticed white gray smoke didnt really care thought it was just at start up. Got back on i40 was coming down the down hill right before exit 140 and i noticed i was smoking like a chimney, and thats only when jake break is on, when climbing hill little black smoke to non. So i stoppped and and set the idle and it was smoking bad, popped the hood and it was like something on fire. Oil all over the engine.

So im pretty sure i need a rebuild now. But what do you guys think went south? Piston rings? Oh and its been emission free since 200k miles and im at 540k now.

Is there parts for the rebuild i can buy that are heavy duty, like forged piston Ect? If im going to do a over haul i want to make it a reliable/strong engine.

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Black389

Dec 1, 2016
    Indy
  4. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    I would pull the turbo and verify that it's not just that. Might be pushing oil into the exhaust side.

magoo68, Hulld, pushbroom and 3 others Thank this.
  5. Black389

Dec 1, 2016
    Indy
    Its smoking bad from where we had motor oil, and blow by is really bad.

Westbound23 Thanks this.
  6. Black389

Dec 1, 2016
    Indy
    And i drove that from Albuquerque to kingman. No problem in power but now i been sitting in kingman, az im afraid i might break something or it might catch on fire, it used 2 gallons from Hollbrook, AZ to kingman, AZ (225 miles)

Westbound23 Thanks this.
  7. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Pull the turbo. If oil is leaking that bad out of it then they will put pressure in the base also. If power is fine and running smooth still my bet is your turbo puked

Diesel Dave, Westbound23 and Black389 Thank this.
  8. Black389

Dec 1, 2016
    Indy
    Okay ill check that out. It idles smooth but a pop here and there like a miss fire? And when it makes a pop sound big smoke cloud comes out of stacks now its dark gray color almost black

9. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Mmmmm well that dont sound good. I just didnt want you assuming motor was done with out checking turbo first.

spsauerland Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.