It is better to Deadhead than take cheap freight

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by johnnyman1099, Nov 2, 2017.

1. johnnyman1099

johnnyman1099 Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2017
    People need to say no to cheap freight and deadhead. When I see guys hauling cheap lumber from NorthEast down to the south, their excuse is always, " I made my money comming into the Northeast and the cheap freight pays for fuel back home. "

Please guys, this is a stupid reason. Why take a cheap lumber load with 8' tarp, 48k lbs from MA, ME or CT down to NC for $800-$900 on over 800 miles when you can deadhead down to Baltimore, PA, or VA and take a 200-300 mile load to NC/SC area for $600 to $1000.

I was in MN this past monday and the best posted rate for Stepdeck was posted by Landstar paying $2300 from Minneapolis, MN to Charlotte, NC (aprox 1200 miles). Load was taken before i had a chance to call. Since TQL posted the same load, I called them and like always, they wanted a rate. I told them $2800 because it is a Stepdeck load. TQL wanted to pay $1900 on the same load. So I deadhead 400 miles to Peru, IL, and took a legal flatbed/stepdeck load from Landstar going to the NC area and got paid $2200 on 800 loaded miles.

If the best load from MN to NC was $2300, there were many many loads paying way less than $2,000. I hope that folks would say no.

The mentality of always being loaded and keep deadhead to a minimal is stupid when you are in a bad area like MN, FL or northeast and other areas. Come on truckers, say no to cheap freight.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    We haul high paying customer loads on the head haul, then if we can we will grange a broker load coming back to one of our areas where we can get another customer load. Minnesota, and Wisconsin is easy for us as we are the in house carrier for Koehler and generac generators. We also have a yard up outside green bay. But if we take a high paying od load out to any of the West, north west states around Utah, you can very you're gonna dead head back to Texas or Missouri for a reload. Its just dead out there for trailers like ours. of we goo into California, Oregon, or Washington, we can usually get a decent broker load coming back from one of the ports

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. nightgunner

nightgunner Road Train Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    I ended up doing that right now myself. I pulled from Iowa to Denver for $3.35 a mile but refused to support the cheap freight brokers. So I deadhead into Kansas to better Freight. I actually found a broker pushing a load from Denver to Porter Texas, 1100 miles, 48000 pounds on the deck, paying an all-so generous $900!

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  5. johnnyman1099

Mar 13, 2017
    I have been to Denver, CO twice this year. First time was Memphis, TN area to Denver for $3500 on 1100 miles legal flatbed load in June.

Second was beginning of Oct, $4500 on 1600 miles from Greensboro, nc to Denver. Legal flatbed load.

Both times, I deadhead to Kansas City and got over $2/mile out back east. Only time i am willing to go to Denver is to gross $3500 or more and it must be a weekend load meaning, pickup on Thursday or Friday, and I get to Denver on SAT night, restart my hours and deliver on Monday.

6. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    It costs less to move an empty truck out of a soft market than haul cheap freight to cover fuel. You have your truck back sooner, and the costs are lower.

DoubleO7, nax, Mattflat362 and 3 others Thank this.
  7. nightgunner

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    I got out of Colorado and back to my $3/mi. freight. Even got the new APU installed enroute.

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  8. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Wow, I thought stepdeck pays much better. I get the same prices with dry van...

9. johnnyman1099

Mar 13, 2017
    I agree with you Dune-T. I am from NC and sometimes, the rates for outbound Dryvans pays the same if not more than legal flat/stepdeck loads. Especially on runs under 400 miles. The problem with dryvan i had this year was that the other end usually suck bad unless you have a dedicated account. I have given up on running the general loadboard with the spot market rates on Dryvan.

10. nightgunner

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Have you guys had trouble getting older vans loaded? I have been thinking about expanding operations to include vans.

11. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Every Volvo in Chicago has a step deck now... Nose dive 4 the rates

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.