It this legal?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by DPForumDog, Dec 28, 2022.

1. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    I'm assuming you meant GVWR and that means it's over 10k which is the limit for the rated capacity. You can get the trailer replated for 10k maybe, but as is it won't work.

I hope this clears up the confusion in this thread. I had always had the same idea as @Jubal Early Times as to the combination not exceeding 26k, but if the regs as read are correct that @ZVar posted I guess I was wrong. It's a confusing area for sure.

Jubal Early Times Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jubal Early Times

Jubal Early Times Road Train Member

Oct 17, 2022
    How am I not admitting it? I said you are technically correct, just that your scenario isn’t practical.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
  4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    So it's not practical to know the laws we run under. Gotcha!
    Or do you think the only commercial trucks are semi's?

5. Jubal Early Times

Jubal Early Times Road Train Member

Oct 17, 2022
    Boy… you really are itching for a fight aren’t you. You’re still playing word games. I said none of that. Why don’t you stop acting like a menstruating female. Geez.

6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Why don't you act like an adult? Or is that too hard for you too?
    Didn't answer question I see. Like normal instead of admitting you are wrong.

7. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Knock it off guys

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  8. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    I'm afraid this is pretty cut and dried and well understood especially amongst the non-CDL hotshot crowd who play this game. That is why a lot of them only run single rear wheel 1-tons or even 3/4 tons with the lower GVWR. 1-ton DRW is 14k already and a very typical gooseneck flatbed used for hotshot will have a pair of 7k axles for a GVWR of at least 14k itself. That would put you at 28k combined and that wont work with no CDL even if the truck is only plated for 26k. A 1-ton single wheel is usually 11,500 GVWR and so that would drop the combination down to 25,500 lbs GCWR. Guys will also play games with de-rating a trailer when it's built at the factory (some will also do it after the fact as I understand it) to stay right at 26k and under the CDL threshold, but this could get you in hot water if DOT catches you with more weight on the trailer than the VIN placard says there should be.

I predict at some point the FMCSA will probably attempt to close this loophole and make all the non-CDL guys go get one. But possibly not. That would screw up a lot of rental truck business like U-haul, Ryder, Penske who often lease or rent larger box trucks to businesses or individuals who would not normally need a driver with a CDL in their day to day operations.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.