Its official

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by Upright, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Upright

Upright Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2012
    California's Best City
    The minimum in TN is 40. I wonder what kind of calls the safety dept would get if I did that? Can you imagine the convo id have with them. Hmm, driver going too slow.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I hear that.Everyone dictates our life as a trk driver except us the trk drivers.

4. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    When trks are governed at say 60,you'll be averaging 50 to 55 because of the hills.Slow trks suck bigtime especially with heavy loads.I averaged 50 deadheading and 45 to 47 loaded.

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  5. commontrack

commontrack Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2013
    Reno, NV
    The only thing a company saves by governing their trks is fleet insurance cost. Except for thoses company that are 'self-insured' i.e.: Swift, Knight, Schnider, ... all the super carriers.

6. Tigerman

Tigerman Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Split speed limits kill people. Three studies to back that up. OOIDA has said this for years.
    That said, there will always be speed differences. Weight, up and down grades.
    Also, Criminals engaged in "Swoop and Squat" for Insurance claims. Jamming on their brakes when they swoop in front of trucks to get rear-ended.
    I set my cruise on the speed limit or just under.
    I saw a company advertising for drivers and stating the speed they set your governor determines your pay per mile.
    Cutting trucks back does lower fuel costs, but, reduces distance traveled in a work day. Rural Interstates are designed for 70mph.
    I had one guy crossing Wyoming tell me a truck couldn't go 700 miles in a day. Gee, just about all my logs must be wrong.

7. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I think running 55 is less stressful than running 60-65 as people can pass you faster. Running 62 there is always someone trying to pass you at 62.3 so you slow down a little and they come over and then you stay slow to increase the following distance. Now that you slowed down the guy behind you wants to pass so we going through it again and again. Next thing you know the truck that just moved over jumps back into the left lane as there is a bear, car, or roadside service on the shoulder and you can't move left as you are being passed by the guy the other truck cut off to pass you. All you can do is slow down and watch them glare at you like your some kind of dirt bag for not moving over for them.

The places that govern so slow only care about the bottom line and fleet results. The severity of crashes decrease, saves fuel, and reduces the chance of speeding tickets which is a big deal when they have so many trucks. It costs more money to train someone how to drive efficiently than it does to nerf the truck into absurdity. Safety at the cost of driver retention. :rolleyes:

Hang in there :)

8. SixtyPlus

SixtyPlus Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Central Mississippi
    So, what is May governing the speed to? Thought is was >60.

9. Upright

Upright Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2012
    California's Best City
    The trucks are set at 60 supposedly but ive been passed by Mays petes so I think those are governed higher.

10. mickey melon

mickey melon Medium Load Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Chicago,Il
    Well...Heres my take on this, When I started driving MOST states were 55mph.. Good ol' double nickel.

Now......65 mph for trucks is about the norm.(Give or take)

Im never in a hurry, I generally drive between 55-65 mph depending on which road im on,whatever.......Can I go Faster? absolutely

But Why.....Everyone else already is..It makes my day less stressful when I dont have to pass anyone, They all Pass me and I give each and every trucker the courtesy headlamps.....Sadly,In todays trucking community, Only a Small percentage give me the "Thank You" we all grew up with.....

Not to mention the CB radio channel 19 has just about lost its integrity

11. KC Guardrail

KC Guardrail Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2013
    What about fuel?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.