Its official

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by Upright, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Jaguar115

Jaguar115 Heavy Load Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Warsaw, Mo
    I can drive 60-62 mph with my cruise on for hundreds of miles and MAYBE increase my mpg by a tenth.

In today's modern trucks our fuel mileage is either increased or decreased by adjusting at what rpm we shift. .I will be the first to admit that when I learned to drive, we would run the rpm's up 16, 17, 1800 rpm. That's where they produced the most torque and horsepower.

I drive a 2010, ISX, Eaton 13 speed with 355 gears. .I had to teach an old dog (me) New trucks/tricks..I sat down with our breakdown manager, he showed me on a graph my shift points/rpm along with the torque/horsepower band. ..

My truck produces maximum power between 1100-1350 rpm.. after 1350 rpm torque and horsepower drop exponentially and fuel consumption sky rockets! So basically I was just blowing money out the exhaust with little return.

Now I shift sooner which increases my mpg and at the same time I can drive at faster highway speeds if I desire. I still drive 60, there's a lot less stress at the end of the day.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dirtyrabbit

dirtyrabbit Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2011
    KS
    Now that's some funny schickza! I do know what a May truck looks like from behind, a Prime too! Ya got to, in case the left lane is busy, and I'll be putting that blinker on early to get over also. I reckon for teams it might work, but would drive me Nuts.

Good luck staying outta the way Dude!

4. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Jeez, i'd be asleep at the wheel and upside down 65mph is a snails pace but 55 good heavens.

pattyj Thanks this.
  5. Upright

Upright Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2012
    California's Best City
    lmao. Get on the cb and warn of the hazard er.. may truck ahead. Too funny. What can we do? As long as im getting miles and the checks dont bounce then May can keep their rigs at a senior citizens pace.

6. Y2K

Y2K Road Train Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Yacolt,WA
    Out here on the left coast, California and Oregon are both 55 for trucks, Washington is 60.
    Driving 65 can get you a ticket, they'll ignore you at 62 but much past that in CA or OR you are at risk.
    Do over 65 in WA and you'll get the attention of the WSP.
    The May trucks I drove a few years back we governed at 61,my Walsh truck is at 62.

7. KC Guardrail

KC Guardrail Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2013
    Your numbers are off but, assuming 120,000 miles a year and $3.50 a gallon for fuel, a .1 mpg increase still equate to a $1650 annual savings.

8. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Wonder what Hills Brother trks are governed at.Was suppose to start orientation today but because the bus broke down 150 miles away it would be late before it arrives.Did'nt feel like waiting 7 hrs for the next one so ill start next Monday.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Very few states have slow trk speeds.Part of the reason trks are governed because of too many drivers getting speeding tickets.Thats not fair to the other drivers that do follow the law.Penalize those drivers not the entire fleet.Companies have no idea how hard it is and it has to be a lot of stress on trks hauling a heavy load putt putting along up a mountain at 10 mph.Even lite lds you won't go much faster.In other words no power at all.Once you hit flat ground,takes forever to gain speed.Main reason I left kb is because of the 57 mph trks.Even empty id have to down shift to 7th 8th or 9th depending on the hil.Try to pass someone a slight bit slower then you,thats not going to happen.Im hearing kb is losing drivers because of the slow trks.Takes forever to get anywhere.Theres not one of these major carriers that don't pass me like im sitting still.

10. Dryver

Dryver Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Do you really think this has anything to do with insurance? It has to do with diesel-$$$$ and also nothing to do with stupid. If you ask most truckers to do 55-60 to save fuel they won't do it, so they limit the trucks. And yes, 70% of my fellow truck drivers are stupid, look around you.

Wrecks and fatalities? If you run into the back of a rig that is doing 55-60mph that you can clearly see from 3/4 a mile away there are other issues at play.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  11. Reroll

Reroll Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Denver, CO
    They're governed at 59 on the pedal, and 61 with the cruise. A few of the trucks will edge out just a bit over 62.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.