Its Slow Down OR Move Over for Emergency Vehicles NOT BOTH!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Onetruckpony, Apr 15, 2012.

1. RAGE 18

RAGE 18 Road Train Member

Jan 31, 2011
    GOLD£N☆STAT£
    Good 1 so do I usually if ur following distance is proper the slow down for oneself will be minimal just part of the job. Take it easy driver usually if your paying attention you will see it coming before the driver in the front does.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Go over a hill, and there it is.
    Go around a bend, and there it is.

Sometimes it is not about following distance.

It is about line of sight, and how much time you have to respond to the situation.

Many times, that can be only a few seconds.

No matter your following distance to the vehicle in front of you, or even your own reaction time, the truck has its own reaction time and capabilities.

4. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    manitoba is like saskatchewan... you MUST move over on a divided highway, and slow to 60 km. If on a 2 lane highway, you must slow down to 60 km when passing stopped emergency vehicles. 400.00 fine and demerit points on your licence. A few years ago, we had an RCMP officer on a traffic stop on the trans-canada highway, a loaded super-b didn't give up the lane or slow down. The trailer clipped the officer , he bounced along the side of the trailer and off into the ditch. Thank god he didn't get sucked under the trailer. His vest saved his life. The driver was stopped by 2 other rigs a few miles up the road, they actually got in front of the driver and beside him and forced him to slow down. He didn't have a radio. Give up the lane and slow down!

sniper_101 Thanks this.
  5. MNoutkast

MNoutkast Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Elk River, MN
    Moving over and slowing down is ok by me, slamming on your breaks and swerving over is not. I let up if there is lights flashing every time regardless of whether I am in the right lane. LET UP being key words.

Onetruckpony Thanks this.
  6. Onetruckpony

Onetruckpony Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2011
    Not saying don't move over when and if it is safe to do so.
    The drivers, truck and 4 wheelers, that slam on brakes and just move are the problem I was pointing out.

7. nascarchuck

nascarchuck Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2008
    DFW, TX
    123456 and Motownfire Thank this.
  8. Cschaffer220

Cschaffer220 Bobtail Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Buffalo, NY
    New York state is move over now. I've seen troopers sit two deep on the side of the road and just wait for someone to not move over. Personally, I always find a way to slow and move if I can, even if it takes driving with my indicator on for a while, at least I'm showing I'm not daft.

9. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    Prior to this change, I was going down a 2 lane with a wreck and several Troopers and Sheriffs parked on the other side of the road, wreck was in the other side ditch. I put on my 4ways and slowed from the 55 posted down to 40 something and went past. Saw in my mirrors a Deputy go to his cruiser, do a U-ey and kick on the lights. Thought he had rec'd another call. He pulled me over and read me the riot act, and showed me in the big book where it said 25 mph! No ticket thank goodness. Glad to hear they have gotten it a little better.

10. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    It's been awhile, but last time I was in Alabama the sign said move over AND slow down.

11. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    I was headed south on I-75 in MI last week doing the 60 mph speed limit in the center lane when another truck flew past me in the right lane just as we passed a bear on the shoulder with a 4 wheeler. The bear didn't pay any attention to it .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.