It's your fault.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by FoolsErrand, Aug 17, 2019.

1. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    actually, at 3 of my 5 stops, i was parking up a slight grade.

at my last stop in ME, i'd have these tall reels of wire, that the dock workers would NEVER block.

it was fun watching them reels run off my trailer, and into the back wall of the warehouse, beyond the alarm safe zone, and set off the alarms.

The portland police, would show up, just to make sure i was not hurt..and to make sure it was actually me making my delivery, not someone that had broken in. they actually knew me, from all the false alarms at that location.

in later months, the customer gave me the phone number to call the alarm company...lol

MACK E-6 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    yes, at my last stop in ME, if i had that problem, i had to call the manager at like 1 AM when i was there. he'd have to come in and off load me with the fork lift.

funny too, cuz he told me he only lived 5 minutes up the street, but takes him 30 minutes to get there....as he has to have his coffee first...lol

funny guy, great guy, totally understood the under powered pallet jacks, and the need for help.

now, had the customer trained us and certified us for fork lifts, that would never have happened.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  4. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    I just thought of a good point. Notice a few of us local guys #####ing about work here. It consists of what pallet jacks we don't like. Not our pay, benefits, treatment, hos, elogs, foreigners, cheap freight, megas, back in the day, etc. This to me anyway just further reinforced my previous post.

5. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Nobody made 150k a year driving somebody elses truck in the 70s 80s, anybody who says they did is full of ####. Everybody #####es about "low pay" what does it actually cost to have a driver a mile by the time you pay them, their health insurance, any sort of 401k match, I'd bet it's a buck a mile or even a little better.

6. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    That's what I thought too. I wasn't driving back then so I couldn't really call ######## but it seemed far fetched to me. I have seen it several times on here lol. Everyone made sooooo much money back then because there wasn't e logs and foreigners lol.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  7. Rubber duck kw

Dec 9, 2017
    150k a year is a #### good living now, imagine what it was then. My old man was driving then, he's always said the pay was about the same as it is now, maybe a little less but a dollar went a lot further then.

Rideandrepair and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I recall my Father making $1000 + in 1980. 3100 miles @ .33 cpm. That was a lot of money at the time. About dbl what a decent job paid, but He also worked twice as much, all said and done, as the average Worker.

Lepton1 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    1980, price of a new car, or nice house, approx. 1/3 today’s prices.

Lepton1 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  10. Rubber duck kw

Dec 9, 2017
    You could pull in 40-50k a year then, about what your average driver makes now, but how many of your average drivers today put in the same miles they did?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.