I've reached rock bottom... (long)

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Lucar, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Lucar

Lucar Road Train Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Texas
    I am discussing my business matter in this thread, not my private life full of mistakes since an early age that got me paying so many bills a month (period)
    whether you believe the "possible" income at my company that was for this week *before my truck broke - or not, still I appreciate the comments contrusctive or destructive of one's integrity. 2 driver's situations would never be the same. (btw there's a spot available in my company for one more O/O if any 1 is interested)

dannythetrucker got it, I hope I (or us) can save some one this kind of problems by reading threads such as this. I still haven't made a clear decision as to what to shoot for after this.

Bayouhotshot
    I don't do hotshots any more like I used to with reefers.. we go up one way with one of my company's customers and come back with "brokered loads"
    Ridingsxrs thanks for your coment, I rode a HP4 Competition last year that I let go to start this endeavour. wanna see pics and paperwork too? sorry I'm not a fan of suzukis. one more thing, my BMW blew the engine at 2200 miles.. I got pictures too if you want to see, defective engine replaced under warranty by BMW of NJ.

rank
    Good luck with yours man, keep us updated on it. It's unbelievable that CATERPILLAR is aware of the problems, still these "used" trucks are being sold all over the place and here comes you (me) and jump on such a money pit without a clue of what the heck is about to come. I've come to enjoy and be spoiled by the way the truck is equipped, it will be expensive to find myself liking an older model that i'd jump to just for the drive train and try to get the same features on.

I appreciate those sending the PMs; I'm not giving up. I got a family to feed; 2 boys one 5 and the other 3. I was just lucky to land in this company which is how I was able to pay all my bills these past months through all the BS this truck has been giving me, I'd be light years away if it hadn't been for all these mechanical problems.
    I am contacting the people that financed my truck and see if they are willing to trade it, if they do then I have to make the best decision on the next.
    thank you all and good luck in your business.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    truckon Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lucar

Lucar Road Train Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Texas
    I've put about $3k on the transmission... 300 here, 400 there, 1000 here, 500 there.. i've posted a thread in the bad companies section of KW of PA how they got my money and didn't even fix a thing on it -
    I got the truck to go into california and visit my sons.
    *I'd like to know if there's a way to get the financing company to OK trading it, I was told by a CAT tech this truck will get fixed and work for 6 months until the chain starts all over again..
    In case I can trade (which is the biggest possibility at this time) I am going for an older model; possibly a 2003 6nz with a fresh overhaul. I know now that's what I should had got from the beginning as I already knew the engine was good but refused to get it since it would keep me out of california.
    the Transmission has had replaced Harnesses, speed sensors (same twice) splitter valve, recalibrated (it took the Manual limiter at 16 RPMs) plus labor-s ... SMH..
    Still I love it when it's working fine, it shifts so smooth it has spoiled me. Whenever it's cold in the mornings it will shift in this pattern.. 2-3-4-5-6-8-10-12.. then I'll pull over shut the engine off for a minute and I'm back in business; now it won't skip a single gear.
    it torque locks whenever the heck it wants to and since my last issue in PA I've come to find out all the connections and electronic parts are right off defensless victims of the elements. I was so pissed I punched my battery box full strenght. ouch (not like I'm that strong lol)

You'd think EATON would had designed the thing to at least have all the wire connections and sensors covered... jeez..
    I have planned to go down there again (lol - pun intended) and take all connections apart, clean with moisture solvent, cover in electrical grease then reconnect and black tape and loom the heck out of every single wire and connector I can see.
    these automatics are wonders when they're 100% operational. I truly hope the new trucks have all these crap solved as we move onto the future of our industry we must realize we will come to deal with it at one point in our lives; for now I will try to go back to a standard tranny.

Cetane+ and RedForeman Thank this.
  4. leftlanetruckin

leftlanetruckin Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    Hindsight, but doing your homework BEFORE buying a used truck is a must these days.
    I turned down countless Western Stars, due to that turd of a ARD head equipped C15 under the hood. Know too many guys personally that have had issues, as well as some general reading and research. Same applies to automatic transmissions. They just are not reliable yet.
    The days of bragging on "Cat Power" ended when they put DPF on them in my experience. well, they may have power, but not for long.....
    I would explore other avenues before letting the finance company in on the situation.
    Martin

Cetane+ Thanks this.
  5. Lucar

Lucar Road Train Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Texas
    on a funny note *and not to dizz any one as no pun intended but just speaking out of my own situations..
    I run with a century S60 500 Det and a Pete 379 500 Cummins the same load -35000# PA to Houston and on every climb I would catch them and had to slow down on them; to come to the rush truck center yesterday and find out I have 2 bad injectors on the BOAT ANCHOR rated at 475HP lol

6. leftlanetruckin

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    And how many hills did they climb, while you were in the shop, going broke, making posts on here?
    Those of us that understand, both engines and this business, know that less power that lasts, will always be a LOT better than more power that is unreliable.
    Go enjoy yer boat anchor's bragging rights though, while sat in another dealers waiting room apparently....:biggrin_2556:

Martin

FLATBED Thanks this.
  7. Cetane+

Cetane+ Road Train Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Albany, NY
    Your biggest problem is the cat dealers working on your engine. They do what the cat book says, not whats best. Now that it looks as a new day has dawned, you need to look out side the dealer box. Talk to the ones in the know to get that engine back to health. It is simpler and cheaper than you think. Far less than you have spent in one month so far. You said you would look into a 6NZ, that means you dont need to worry about COMMIFONIA. You might be better starting a thread or researching in the garage thread. You dont need another truck to get to the engine you are talking about. You can disable the VVA(IVA) in the ECM get it "tuned", get rid of everything but flow trough muffler after the turbo(s). You can put a good manual 13 speed in your truck for $3500 and never think about electronics again on it. Drop back and punt! Turn that ship around, dont let it pisss more of your money at the dealer.

rockyroad74 and Semi Crazy Thank this.
  8. Lucar

Lucar Road Train Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Texas
    actually I've been quoted $5k+ to get rid of the engine's dawning system, then HP would go up and torque for at least 1850 which would blow the transmission since it's rated up to 1650. to replace the tranny and convert (my transmission cannot be converted to standard) it is a price tag of somewhere between $6k to $7k..
    so right there to crank it up and get back to work I'm in for another $12 to $15k ...

9. Cetane+

Cetane+ Road Train Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Albany, NY
    As you have been told by a dealer? Or some one that has changed transmissions in an afternoon in there own garage?

EverLuc Thanks this.
  10. leftlanetruckin

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    And there in lies the problem I think.
    There are lots of other options besides the dealers, when stuff is out of warranty. Some can't seem to comprehend that though, which is unfortunate for their bank account.

Martin

spyder7723 and milskired Thank this.
  11. Lucar

Lucar Road Train Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Texas
    I've been told by both.. corner mechanics and dealers.. corner mechanics suggested lower prices of course.. and dealers higher

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.