I've reached rock bottom... (long)

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Lucar, Jan 13, 2014.

1. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    This is the internet....whenever people start spouting numbers without anything to back it up they lose all credibility. .. 99.999 % of the time it's internet truckstop BS.

Truckergirl0720 and spyder7723 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lucar

Lucar Road Train Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Texas
    awww shoot.. why don't these guys keep out of stuff they don't really know about. I'm going to post my income statements in a new thread just to shut some tramps. jeez..
    this thread is not about my income, it's about my truck. what part of that can't these HATERS get ???
    if you ain't got nothing positive to say like I do on other threads, keep your mouth shut and your fingers away from keying in this thread. this is to help others out by reading (in this case) my experiences with said truck. THANK YOU

Hammer166, volvodriver01 and rank Thank this.
  4. Cetane+

Cetane+ Road Train Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Albany, NY
    If you could take a snap shot of the trans from the bottom and post it. I have some bad ideas. Now to get back to the point again. I would like you to talk to some others from here that tune cats, and look into the engine side first. The torque numbers are not an issue to you. lets say you had a truck that you own, you spend $5K on the engine that yo can run reliably for 2 months. Would that be worth not putting the peddle to the floor for those 2 months until you know if things are corrected? I mean 95% throttle compaired to 99% is not a big deal. Now if you talked to someone that knows what they are doing with an ECM, they can set you up with a program that will be the cats meow for your truck. No problems with the fictitious torque numbers in your head. As stated earlier, you need to converse with knowledgeable people to get your engine "fixed". Not a big problem.

x#1 Thanks this.
  5. x#1

x#1 Road Train Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Cherokee County, Alabama
    what would haney have to say here? surely he has encountered similiar happenings.

beyond all the negative/hater posts and replies that you've gotten,best of luck on getting this particular situation remedied.you 've come too far to hang it up or let it go.it is going to work out favorably man.the naysayers are the ones impeding the traffic flow and getting passed on the right most likely whether by choice OR by company policy.they are just that way-

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    Cetane+, 281ric and Lucar Thank this.
  6. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    I bought an '08 Columbia last summer, DD60 14L, 9spd, good running truck. Before I did, I looked online for info on various rigs and engines. That Cat 15 is involved in a class action lawsuit over reliability and costs. As far as I could tell, all the DPF and later engine manufacturers are having issues with emission controls. My 60series has an EGR, so I can run legal in California (right, can't wait for more $4.25/g fuel, 55mph, crappy roads, and bears at every offramp and bridge) but I couldn't find a lot of problem reports with that motor. I might buy the shift button for 13spd but I get 6.5-7.5mpg now, and I'm not in a hurry. Usually.

It is a crapshoot, for sure. I've heard these same stories from guys who laid down $130K for new rigs, so even that isn't a sure thing. I feel bad for your problems, Driver. Hopefully you can work into something good.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  7. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
  8. leftlanetruckin

leftlanetruckin Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    Hoping you are in no way referring to me?

9. Lone Ranger 13

Lone Ranger 13 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    I think some of the dpf Cats did catch fire. I think I heard something about the dpf getting too hot (during a regen I would assume).I was at the Dallas pete dealer a few years ago looking at a new truck. Out in the back lot there was a group of guys investigating why a Peterbilt had burned up. I noticed the aluminum box on the passenger side , which contained the dpf , had big holes melted through it.The engine was a Cat.Now, if someone could figure out how to make his Cat do an extra hot regen............. Or maybe you could go chase tornados with it. And try really hard to park in the path of one.Park it near a southern border crossing with the engine running and a map to Mexico .Hire a terrible driver with a history of crashing trucks. And tell him to bobtail through an ice storm. And tell him to hurry.

rockyroad74 Thanks this.
  10. Boardhauler

Boardhauler Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Ballin' in it for Shakey
    Where you are right now reminds me of where I was in the late 1970's. In '77 I bought a new Road Commander & quickly learned that Dad was right; You can't make it with $1,500 dollar payments on truck thet gets 4MPG, weighs 20,000 lbs. & is constantly in the shop.

I went back to college, took business management, economics & accounting classes that me taught how things actually work and how to make intelligent business decisions. I didn't learn enough to get rich, but I have managed to not file bankruptcy (Which is sort of a victory itself in todays economy).

I'm not saying that people here are not giving you some good advice, but I think you really need to find one person you trust, who is qualified to properly analyze your entire situation in detail and help you make the right decisions. I have a wonderful CPA with a JD that I call on a lot.

I wish I had more time to tell you stories about the crap I've had to deal with and offer you more advice and encouragement, but I have to manage my own business first, so I'll just wish you good luck & tell you to keep fighting, but do it intelligently.

Afterthought- Why am I so much better at running other peoples lives in retrospect than I am at running my own life in real time? LOL!

NavigatorWife and Lucar Thank this.
  11. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Who hasn't thought of tossing it in? I just turned a profit for the first time since I started - it only took 4 years to do that. Year's one and two I lost money, a bunch in year one. Year 3 had the pleasure of a CAT inframe, Lucky to break even. Been frazzled a time or three, questioned my sanity, wished I had a stick of dynamite a time or three. Even now I sit here and think how fun it would be to put for sale sign on it of course the thought I'd have to work a real job then quashes that lol. When buying used it can make you or break you. Mine almost broke me, from mostly my own stupidity, but I had deep pockets. They sure did stay thin for a long time. One must have a vision for their company. You need to have an idea what your goals are 5, 10, and 15 years down the road. It takes cash to make it and you better have an exit strategy.

Cetane+, RedForeman, milskired and 8 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.