I've reached rock bottom... (long)

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Lucar, Jan 13, 2014.

1. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    My exit strategy - and that was one of many concepts I learned here at TTR - was, and still remains crystal clear: The day I need to borrow money to keep the truck going is the day i put a for sale sign on it and chalk it up to a bad experience. That was the end of the road back to driving someone else's truck and they have the headaches. And then somebody here mentioned "exit strategy" and the importance of having one. I was able to put a term to what was already in my plan from day one.There's no denial when you start debt free and end up borrowing. Things can get murky if you're already under a pile of debt. Hats off to anyone who can manage long term with debt, that takes guts. And the ones who manage on flat mileage rates long term that takes smarts and guts.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mickey melon

mickey melon Medium Load Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Chicago,Il
    Good points...

But doesn't "exit strategy" already give you the mindset of failure?

I never thought failure..EVER,,... Times get tough for sure.......Fight it,Make WISE decisions with your income..And you will do fine.

people get into 'debt' because of poor financial decisions fort the most part.......

I understand things change in life......But Making a HUGE jump into truck ownership requires discipline and responsibility.....10 times more responsibility than owning a home!

I'm a good example of what hard work and wise strategy can get you

milskired and EverLuc Thank this.
  4. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    My dad was a certified diver. Dove in springs, caves, even brought up artifacts from a u-boat off the coast of OBX. He always said no matter how simple or routine the dive a failure to plan is a plan for failure. All divers say that. Even seen o/o here say it. I never intended to fail but stuff happens you have to be realistic.

truckon Thanks this.
  5. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    To the op.... How many miles on this 08 pos.

First If it's got 6 or 7 hundred thousand I would of replaced the whole vva harness from the get go.
    Second you will have to put an art head on every year and a bunch of sensors to.

That pos can be fixed , you need to get it to a cat house or a very good shop (not dealer) that knows their way around the newer cats.

RedForeman Thanks this.
  6. BAYOU

BAYOU Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Beaumont,Tx
    Your right I got my 2005 Freightliner in feb of 08 440,000 miles I gave $18,500 was a good one!!!

7. milskired

milskired Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Plainfield, IL
    You mean you stole the thing??? GEEZ!!! I am hoping that used truck prices will be down like that in about 2 years. That is my plan. 2 years from this month.

8. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    When Schneider starts dumping those Columbia glider's with 12.7L Detroits sometime in the future now those would be some good cheap trucks.

9. milskired

milskired Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Plainfield, IL
    Agreed!! Talk about cheap and easy to fix!

10. cabwrecker

cabwrecker The clutch wrecker

Mar 23, 2012
    97% of the information on the internet is false.
    50% of women on the internet are really men.
    2000% of you just bought those two facts
    This is 100% made up.

Good luck OP, keep us updated.

milskired Thanks this.
  11. Ridingsxrs

Ridingsxrs Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Everywhere and anywhere
    Lol that made me laugh.

RERM Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.