J&R Schugel 2011

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by GoAroundMe, Jul 2, 2011.

1. GoAroundMe

GoAroundMe Bobtail Member

Jul 2, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I have been at J&R Schugel for a Month now. This is just to give a current look at the company from my point of view.

Application process:
    I applied online at 10 pm, received a call the next morning. I talked with the recruiter and they processed my application. Around 5 pm, I figured I would be waiting a few days but I got a call and was offered a position. I chose the reefer/Home Weekly division. I got set up for orientation for that Monday.

Orientation
    I had my wife drive half way to Minnesota to avoid a 5 hour layover at a McDonalds. When we got to Mankato on Sunday morning I did not see a van waiting for me. There were two other drivers waiting. A rickity old POS minivan was there for us. The actual shuttle van was being used elsewhere so we got picked up in the "drivers" van.
    Day 1
    We got picked up around 0730. We went to the terminal and started doing a little paperwork. Just the basics, paper application, health care, etc. We left to go get drug tested and physical if you needed one. We were given meal vouchers for $6.00 for lunch.
    After lunch we came back and took a logbook test, watched a video or two and did more paperwork. The rest of the day was the same type stuff. We took the van back to the motel and had $9.00 voucher for dinner.
    Day 2
    We headed to the terminal around 0715. We came in and got to doing any paperwork left over. The three of us went outside and we all went over the reefer and its operation, the air-slide on the tandems and the locking and sealing of the trailer.
    We went over to a 2010 Prostar and did a pretrip on it. We hooked into a loaded reefer and headed out on the road test. Each one of us drove for around 10-15 minutes, made some tight turns, and yada yada. They did not care whether you floated or double clutched as long as you could shift.
    We went to a small warehouse area and backed into a dock. (Get out and look!) We headed back over to the terminal and went over the mirror station.
    We went inside and had our "interviews" with the HR lady. Again typical sit down with her and go over your application and what not. We sat through a safety meeting since we were there. We got assigned our trucks and went out to check them over. We met with out dispatchers as well. We went back to the motel for the night. Same deal $6.00 for lunch, $9.00 for dinner.
    Day 3
    We came in around 0715. We finished any left over papers or anything else. They needed to wait for the drug test results before our dispatch. If the truck needed any work you could get it done and we all set up out trucks. We got our new loadlocks and keys for the trailer locks. We got a free hat, some pens, comchecks, load sheets, logbooks etc.
    Since we were still around at noon, they gave us another lunch voucher.

First Load
    After lunch I got a load. So I got into my Prostar (New people generally get 9400's) and was told to grab an empty and head to Gaylord. There were no empties available so I bobtailed up there.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bumpy

Bumpy Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2009
    New Ulm,MN
    I am wondering,as I am from that area,which motel they put new hires in? (gettin nosy in my old age):biggrin_25525: Do keep us posted,OK? What is the rate of pay,your routes,and everything in general...I have heard so many conflicting reviews on them,I would like to put it to rest,once and for all...

4. GoAroundMe

Jul 2, 2011
    Wisconsin
    After a month or so, here is my view on good and bad.
    Good
    Pay is on time Thursday at midnight (direct deposit).
    I get plenty of loads even with being home weekly.
    Dispatch leaves me alone.
    Good truck, runs good great on fuel.
    Comdata cards
    I have been home on time and early every week. I also have taken some 10 breaks at home.
    Always run legal, never asked to run illegal.
    A lot of people complain about .36 per mile for every new person, but I feel it is not worth complaining over. If you cannot work for that, that is fine. It is ok with me due to the hometime..
    If it is broke they will fix it.
    You get reimbursed for most anything you need, Lumpers, scales, repairs under $25, washouts, etc.
    Even on home weekly, you can run as long as you want, meaning 6 days 8 days etc.
    No forced NYC
    Decent health care benefits.
    Most people at Schugel's office are decent folk.
    My truck is pretty new, clean, and runs well. They are turned down and do not pull very well. It has a 10 speed, Cummins ISX.
    As I said before, I GET LEFT ALONE.

The Bad
    Night dispatch is WORTHLESS! Do not call them unless it is vital to life limb or you cannot reach someone who cares. The woman is mean.
    Lots of East Coast.
    Fuel network that you have to adhere to, so plan accordingly.
    Restricted toll roads. From Indiana to the east coast is more the less a no go. I tell I need the authorization in order to make an on time delivery and I get the PO# to run it.
    Be prepared to make your own calls to people about directions and any other information on the load. I am used to doing that anyways.
    The qualcomm or aether is crap. Many message options they tell you to use are not on there.
    Trailers are left with multiple alarm codes, expired inspections, brakes not working etc. etc. DRIVERS drop them and never say anything about it since they do not want to deal with it. You can call in and they will get it all fixed but want you to make an on time delivery.
    Loads are scheduled so close together so if you are they type who cannot keep your doors closed, move along. You might only have enough time to drive and get fuel and nothing else.
    If you tell them you cannot make an appointment time once preplanned, they do not listen. I have been given loads that take 24 hours legally and I am given 20 hours to do it. But do not run over hours.
    My next load, I was told to run 11 straight, no stopping, no lunch or breaks. Take 10 exactly and run 6 more straight no stopping in order to make an ridiculous appointment time. Oh well life is not peachy.

You sometimes have to run from 8 pm to 8-10 am and try sleeping during the day. Sometimes you have to get up at 2 am to run to make an appointment, or take a 10 2 hours after you woke up to get on track for your appointment. It isn't great doing that but its trucking. Almost similar to when I hauled cattle, with the exception of the 10 hr break deals.:biggrin_25524:
    The Whatevers
    No truck washes except at a terminal, no trailer wash except at terminal. Only get trailer washout if shipper requests it or your trailer get rejected.
    The terminal mechanics at Ohio are a joke, if the trailer is on fire and running on the rims with no lights, just keep driving past the Ohio terminal.
    Cash advances are $75 M-F $75 S-S. I dont use em so I don't care.
    Transflo document scanning
    Paperless pay stubs
    You have to log getting a CAT scale ticket or they will not reimburse you.

It may seem more bad than good, but looking at the big picture it is a good company, I like the miles and the hometime. Like any company, there are faults and some things are stupid. But trucking has never been perfect.
    I like working here, I like my truck, so it ain't bad.
    It is by far the best company I have run for in respects to hometime, being left alone, getting consistent miles and general benefits. However, there are some quirks that you either have to deal with or just keep changing companies until you realize no one is perfect....:biggrin_25523:

Well hope this helps anyone wondering about current J&R Schugel. If you have any questions, please ask and I will answer as soon as I can and to my best ability.
    Take er easy.

On a side note, I am not a complainer and I do not get pissy with my dispatchers. I just nod my head, keep my mouth shut and do what I am paid to do. I know plenty of drivers do not do that. It works for me, it may not for you.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  5. GoAroundMe

Jul 2, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I was in the Super 8 right there across from the Target. It wasn't great but I have been in a lot worse.

Every new hire gets .36 to start, and .1/2 raise upon review every six months up to .42 I believe. My routes are basically from central Minn. to New Jersey or New York state or anywhere in between. I personally cannot say they are that bad. There are some bad things but I am a big boy and can handle them.

I have worked for worse companies.
    Hope that helped.

Forgot to mention, the trucks that have APUs do not have inverters. You have to get get your own, 1500 watt max, if you want power. My truck was prewired and ready to go.

Bumpy Thanks this.
  6. GoAroundMe

Jul 2, 2011
    Wisconsin
    My mother was in the hospital, I called in and got home. I thought I would be gone for a long time so I took the truck to the terminal in Tomah. Long story short, I was able to be home after a week from my moms. So they called me to see how my mom was, I told them she was good and wanted to come back. So they said come on back. Best part, they held my truck for me, never changed my employment status and it is as if I never left.

It is so nice to see a trucking company actually give a crap about drivers and family. Even when I drove for a family friend, they are more concerned with the truck rolling and making money.

So I am really excited to get back and have my truck back.:biggrin_25520:

Hitman, The Challenger and Everett Thank this.
  7. Big_Al

Big_Al Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Out of my mind
    The next time that happens, run it the way you feel comfortable and safe doing. After you are late, they won't likely ask you to do that again.

8. GoAroundMe

Jul 2, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I was thinking to do that, but family emergency happened and the load got taken off me.

9. Proudtruckerswife1968

Proudtruckerswife1968 Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Tallahassee, Florida

Thank you so much for the great feedback. My future hubby has been on the look out for a new company to work for and almost made the mistake of going with Heartland (aka Heartless Express) without doing a lot more though research (which apparently has become my job now! )
    After reading your response, it is becoming abundantly clear that most companies are basically the same. Some worse then better is seems, but it sounds like J & R is pretty comparable with Oakley Transport and a few others. We had some issues with the dispatchers as well with the other company (seems the female dispatchers would get on their menstral cycle and run right over most of the men, and Im a woman and I know that is BS....sorry ladies if I offend any female dispatchers, but these are OUR men out there that you are ######## at, thats OUR job! LOL) And, the lack of support on the night dispatch seems to ring out on these companies.

Thank you again for your take on this, this was very helpful!:biggrin_25520::Straight road:

10. Joker85

Joker85 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Phoenix Az
    Are you still working there, or is anyone. I'm moving back to the chicago area and thinking bout going with them in may. do u ever run thru chicago. Thinking about 5days out 2 home or what ever the weekly home time one was. Thanks.

11. rhughegg

rhughegg Bobtail Member

Dec 24, 2010
    East Central, IL
    If you live in Chicago they have a local position there pays 15 an hour

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.