J1939 datalink terminating resistor location

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by hduane, Nov 11, 2018.

1. hduane

hduane Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Dallas tx
    Hi guys i'm i'm getting 120 ohms on c and d on 9 pin plug instead of 60. Am looking for the terminating resistors on j1939 datalink on 2012 international prostar. Found the one on top of transmission but can't find the other end. Any help? Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Due to the many configurations and options available, the terminating resistor can be found in multiple locations (250k only vehicles)
    • Near the top of the transmission in the Powertrain Harness
    • Left frame rail (could be as far forward as the steer tire in some applications) in the Center Chassis Harness
    • Left frame rail (near the radiator bracket) in the Forward Chassis Harness (*if equipped with Forward Radar)
    • Under the bunk in the sleeper (when factory pre-wired for telematics)
    • Near the ACM

jsnell, SAR and hduane Thank this.
  4. hduane

hduane Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Dallas tx
    Thanks found it under bunk. Im getting 115 ohms at c and d diagnostic plug so i figured one might be open. Both are good and Im still getting 115 ohms at diagnostic plug with both removed. Don't believe should be getting anything with both ends removed. Could this mean contact between c and d wires and it just happened to be in the same ohms range as is normal with only one resistor. Trying not to look stupid here. Volts between b to c and d are 8 ish which i believe is normal

5. hduane

hduane Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Dallas tx
    More background on previous post: problem im having is gauges randomly not working and ecu not connecting with computer

6. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    Old qualcomm wiring still left on the truck from previous owner? Check back of truck, roof line for old wiring still hanging with green, corroded wiring ends.

Sspanesar1313 Thanks this.
  7. hduane

hduane Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Dallas tx
    Update: both resistors were good but a connector in datalink on chassis behind transmission was partly unplugged. Im still not sure why i got 115 ohms with both resistors unplugged (through a module maybe?) but its back to 57 ohms at diagnostic port and communicating. Thanks heavyd for the help finding second resistor.

2013Maxx, QUALITYTRUCK and Heavyd Thank this.
  8. roundel

roundel Bobtail Member

Mar 29, 2015
    When tesing data link J 1939 do you have truck off with batteries disconnected?
    What is the range on Volvo VNL? Is it 60 Omhs?
    How do you test individual wiring? Do you unplug part of the harnes from both ends and that measure yellow and green wires?

9. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    You don't need to disconnect batteries, but it is best that all modules are turned off or in a state of "sleep" mode. Most modules are in sleep mode after 5 mins of key off. All 1939 will have a standard of about 60 ohms, including Volvo. Datalinks are about the most tricky to troubleshoot and test. But, yes, can still test conventionally green to green and yellow to yellow end to end for broken or shorted wires.

bscar0 and roundel Thank this.
  10. roundel

roundel Bobtail Member

Mar 29, 2015
    All tested fine. Terminating resistor on the top of the fuses tested 119.6 Ohms. Second couldn't be tested since it's embed into Engine ECU.
    Diagnostic port J1939 pins C and D tested 59.8 Ohms. It is mysterious data link issue for sure.
    Had problems shifting but they usually disappear once I show up at the mechanic or once I come back home(live in Chicagoland so it might be temperature dependent since it's always cold in Chicago:).
    Data link codes are intermittent and showing in truck diagnostics for
    *Engine
    *Transmission
    *Vehicle ECU.
    All Data link codes
    Data Erratic..
    Tonight none existant. Go figure..
    So far changed TCU, one speed sensor, and inspected all the wiring to the best of my knowledge. My mechanic did the same ..
    He said main problem is that this is not active at all times..

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  11. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Yes, this is why datalinks are so frustrating and difficult to repair. The problem has to be constantly active to troubleshoot. If not, you are literally looking for a needle in a haystack. Could be a wiring problem, or a module problem. If you are getting around 60 ohms, your datalink is good. That is normal.

roundel Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.