Jacknife on Black Ice.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Rican_Prophet, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Rican_Prophet

Rican_Prophet Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Hey im just looking for some advice or thoughts on my situation. I jacknifed on some black ice over by chicago last week. No other vehicles involved and damage to anything besides my tractor. I called my company and then called police(who never showed). Now, my company called a tow and got me to a safe haven, but my company suspended me for a month while they investigate and wait for a police report. Now i know there is no report because i never had police contact. Should i be worried for my job? Should i look for another job before my month is up? Can i even get a job with after an accident? Thanks for the advise. Oh and ive only been driving 6 months.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Yes and yes and yes.

I wouldn’t wait around for a month anyways. Hope you figured out what went wrong so you don’t repeat that performance.

Luck in battle.

4. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    Yes wait for no one. Accidents are accidents. Run and put it behind you. I would go stir cray sitting for a month and they would lose me 100%. It sounds like they just want you to quit.

5. Offroad1978

Offroad1978 Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2017
    NY
    Definitely easier to find a job while you technically still have one, use the time off to your advantage and find new employment elsewhere. As others have said, learn from the experience, put it behind you and move foward. Best of luck to you.

tscottme and Oxbow Thank this.
  6. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Sure, Sit a Month If your Compensated, If Not, Its Obvious what you gotta do.

And you Damaged what? Fairings,Cosmetic Garbage?

Dumb Carrier must think everyones Strupid to Sit suspended for a Month Without Pay.......

Good Lord

7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Theyre expecting him to quit.

Brickwall, Woodys, stayinback and 4 others Thank this.
  8. Rican_Prophet

Rican_Prophet Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Ya im with werner. The guy from my safety department told me that i wouldnt lose my job but just the fact that they suspended me for that length of time has me stressed. As far as looking for another job. Obviously i would tell them that i had an accident since old company will report it anyways. Will that hurt me? Oh and the damage was to the rear drivers side of the truck. The fiberglass got smashed in pretty good. Damaged air lines, electrical, and diesel tank. Truck had 350k miles and tires were pretty worn. I tried to have them replaced but they were considered legal and left them as is.

9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Suspended WITHOUT pay???

To Hell with that. :biggrin_25510:

Start looking elsewhere immediately if not sooner.

10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Just as a random thought: Is it better to quit while you are still technically employed?

TripleSix, Oxbow and Oldironfan Thank this.
  11. bigkev1115

bigkev1115 Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    Well since its Werner, they probably have the truck towed to the nearest terminal, or even all the way to Omaha. Then they have to pull info off the ECM, get insurance estimates for damage, and of course the police report. Also, they have a safety review team that will sit down and discuss whether they will give you a second chance or just let you go. That s why the month s long suspension. Its a long process

Keep in mind, IF they let you keep your job, more than likely you will have to go take a road test and pass.

Lastly, they will give you a tough ultimatum. If you have any kind of scratch, late delivery, or any other incident within the next 3 years or so, you re gone

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.