Jake Brake Stage 2 Circuit Fail Open.

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by GameDayDog, Apr 26, 2017.

1. GameDayDog

GameDayDog Bobtail Member

Apr 25, 2017
    USA
    I have a 2012 Cascadia with a DD13 giving an Eng1 1073 Fail 5 code. It means - Jake Brake Stage 2 Circuit Fail Open.

Since Stage 1 is good, dare I assume the wiring is ok, but my solenoids are bad? Any repair suggestions?

This is my first Freightliner, so I'm a little lost on the location of electrical items.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RocketyMan

RocketyMan Medium Load Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Question for you...did you have recent upper engine work done recently? Service injectors? Valve lash service? Etc...

1073/5--Jake Brake Stage 2 Circuit Failed Open
    1. Disconnect the rear electrical harness connector of the two-piece fuel injector wiring harness.
    2. Measure the resistance between pin 13 and 14 on the valve cover side of the rear two-piece fuel injector wiring harness . If you are using J-48671–10, measure across Jake Brake 2 pins.
    DDengine connectord540043.png

1. If the resistance is between 9 and 12 ohms,Go to step 3.
    2. If the resistance not between 9 and 12 ohms, go to step 5.
    3. Turn ignition ON, engine OFF
    4. Measure voltage at pin 14 of the MCM side and valve cover harness ground
    5. Remove rocket cover
    6. Disconnect the rear Jake Brake solenoid
    7. Measure the resistance across the Jake Brake Solenoid
    8. If resistance is between 9 and 11 ohms, replace the two-piece fuel injector wiring
    9. If the resistance is NOT between 9 and 11 ohms, replace the Jake Brake solenoid

QUALITYTRUCK Thanks this.
  4. RocketyMan

Jun 5, 2015
    Let me get a picture for you of the location of this harness--it's not too bad.

DD15 Rocker harness location.png

GameDayDog Thanks this.
  5. GameDayDog

Apr 25, 2017
    USA
    Fantastic. Thank you so much. I'll check the resistance right now. If the truck was serviced, I didn't do it. I've only had the truck a month. Other than the check engine light coming on & off at random, I've been code free. BRB

Well that was a fail on checking the resistance.. Why'd it have to be the rear connector? Definitely would be easier with the motor out of the truck. I'll try this later & report.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  6. RocketyMan

Jun 5, 2015
    The rear connector is the location I believe for the oil solenoid that controls the operation of the Jakes.

(Ignore the right side of the picture showing the mechanical fuel injector as yours is common rail)
    Here's a picture showing the GENERAL operation...sorta.
    [​IMG]

Here's the location of the solenoid. It's located at the rear, hence the REAR rocker harness:
    DD platform eng brake solenoid.png

Here's a DL of a PDF that talks more about Jakes--if youre interested

http://www.jacobsvehiclesystems.com/files/media/Product/Sell_Sheet_DD_721_2.pdf

GameDayDog Thanks this.
  7. GameDayDog

Apr 25, 2017
    USA
    The probes on my multimeter were too thick to test the connector & too long to test the pins.

I'm going to get some wire & blade connectors so I can have access points to get readings.

8. Animosus

Animosus Medium Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    SE Wyoming
    Most likely either an injector harness or solenoid. The harnesses are pretty britle and don't take much to break if they've never been changed.

GameDayDog Thanks this.
  9. GameDayDog

Apr 25, 2017
    USA
    Yeah, it's on the solenoid side. I was ready to take the rocker cover off. My boss reminded me to make sure they had the part first! Of course, they didn't. The dealer suggested changing the solenoids & the wiring harness. I'm surprised they didn't suggest new a starter, alternator & engine. I hate dealerships.

10. RocketyMan

Jun 5, 2015
    @GameDayDog what dealer is this out of curiosity?

This really isn't TOO big of a deal. It's all upper engine work. At this point, I would suggest doing a valve lash job, and you'll need new rocker cover gaskets. Go ahead and change the solenoid with a new one--might as well in addition to the rear rocker wire harness. I'm not sure how many miles are on your truck--but I'd just take advantage of it. Maybe even consider getting new remanned injectors..? Engine brakes are very important--especially on hilly terrain.

11. GameDayDog

Apr 25, 2017
    USA
    This was Tom Nehl in Jacksonville, FL. My boss says they're one of the best around, but I left highly unsatisfied.

I tell them, "The Stage 2 Jake brake solenoid is bad." And 8 hours later, they tell me - "The Stage 2 Jake Brake solenoid is bad." Ugh!

I'm kinda old school. If it isn't broke, don't fix it! The truck only has 497k on her, the last 10k being mine. IMHO, the engine parts should just be getting broken in.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.