Jake brakes on freightliner work intermittently.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Gerardob01, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Gerardob01

Gerardob01 Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2021
    I have an 05 freightliner columbia with a 14.l 60 series, my jake brakes work intermittently. if I hit a small bump on road they stop and when I hot another they start working. I already had the switch inside truck replaced and the jake brake housing replaced as well. Had them jakes rebuild. also getting an abs code 136 fmi 13 sid 5 any one have any suggestions??

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SophiaWYO

SophiaWYO Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2020
    Wyoming
    Your problems are electrical. Something isn't making good contact then a bump jars it. If it was an mechanical issue it wouldn't likely come back on after a bump. If you had the jakes rebuilt I'd take the truck back to the shop who re-built it and tell them to finish the job or find the root issue. You might have a broken wire.

Good luck,

Sophia

Vampire and Gerardob01 Thank this.
  4. Gerardob01

Apr 29, 2021

5. Gerardob01

Apr 29, 2021
    Thats what I was thinking its difficult for them to look for root of cause since it doesn't happen all the time idk I figured someone had the same problem

6. SophiaWYO

Nov 22, 2020
    Wyoming
    I had KIND OF similar issue: weak jake brakes. Mine turned out to be detent wear on the rocket shafts. Just happened to be time for an overhaul and my problems are now gone!!

Good luck with your repair....

Sophia

7. Gerardob01

Apr 29, 2021
    I appreciate your insight will get with shop to see if we vant get this fixed I just wonder why I have an abs code with retarder issue. that seems to be Jake's

8. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Wiring harness under valve cover.

check plug at ecm, jake control is on the big plug at back( facing firewall) the wires to the jake are the first ones below the notch. You can press on them with a awl or dental pick, make sure screw holding plug is tight.
    With a abs code you may have wires rubbing together, sometimes it’s easier to replace the harness than spending hours looking.

77fib77 Thanks this.
  9. SophiaWYO

Nov 22, 2020
    Wyoming
    First determine if the two issues are connected or just incidental to one another. Sometimes things happen at exactly the same time but have nothing to do with each other. I pray for you that they are separate issues and something simple like a broken connector or something.

10. Gerardob01

Apr 29, 2021
    very much appreciated thanks

11. Anywhichwaybutloose

Anywhichwaybutloose Light Load Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Do you lose cruise control as well? Check the switch on the clutch. Might be loose.

Dino soar and lester Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.