Jake Brakes......

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by SHC, Feb 19, 2012.

1. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    No, I keep my foot on the clutch pedal. The weight of my leg goes through the clutch play and holds my weight before actually disengaging the clutch.

If you press my clutch in about half an inch it will think im about to use the clutch, so it will keep the Jake from activating. I also tap the clutch pedal to turn cruise control off. If you have cruise on and its trying to accelerate then hit the brakes and the Jake activates it doesn't sound good. So if cruise is accelerating and I want it to stop I tap the clutch then the brake. Less strain on the drive train.

And shc, it does say "ENG BRK" on my dash. So yeah, not really a Jake brake lol

Logan76 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    Did you know that Clessie Cummins, the founder of Cummins invented the compression or "jake" brake? He was unable to convince the bean counters in charge at Cummins back in the 50's to invest money in his idea (they saw no money in it) so he sold the patent to a company called Jacobs Manufacturing and the rest is history.

4. Truck Driver

Truck Driver Medium Load Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    Never seen a switch on the dash labeled Jake brake even when the motor had the Jake brake logo.

5. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    I did that once when I was learning to drive, after getting whacked in the knee cap with a hammer I stopped doing it however, I'm permitted to 100k and in new England it is needed in some places, truck stops, and residential areas are not one of them

6. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL
    Our '99 classic XL that we had in school said "Jake brake" on the dash. I loved going around the shifting track gaining speed then hitting the Jake all 6 cylinders. It sang, loud lok

7. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    I've seen lots of them. You just haven't been around the older trucks.

Logan76, Tractor7127 and okiedokie Thank this.
  8. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Member the old Detroits w/ the left/right bank switches?:biggrin_25514:

9. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    How about the old low air warning flag? You'd always have a driver that would write over danger and say "jump dummy".

10. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    How would you like to climb in to this every morning.
    [​IMG]

Tractor7127 Thanks this.
  11. Rat

Rat Road Train Member

First thing I do when rolling up the ramp off the super slab or rolling into a town on a two lane, is turn off my jakes. They are not needed unless slowing down from highway speeds or going down a big hill.

ShallowDOF Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.