Jake Brakes......

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by SHC, Feb 19, 2012.

1. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    Where's the other stick!

okiedokie Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Logan76

Logan76 Crusty In Training

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    I use my jakes alot unless im in an area where I could be a nuisance such as truck stops, cities, towns, etc.

Hey drty diesel why don't you try to to use your throttle to control your jakes instead of riding your clutch pedal?

DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  4. OPUS 7

OPUS 7 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Ive got the new Jake Ryan Jake brake.
    Its dreamy:laughing6:

Attached Files:

• cdx.jpg
      cdx.jpg
      File size:
      10.3 KB
      Views:
  5. DrtyDiesel

DrtyDiesel Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL

I dont actually engage the clutch, i just hold my foot on the pedal through the free play.

But sometimes when i use my throttle to turn my jake off, as soon as i lift my foot off the throttle my jake automatically engages again. Good advice though, I have tried it. it could be a hiccup but im not sure. I really wish I had a jake that sounded like the classic xl in school. it was sweet.

6. Logan76

Logan76 Crusty In Training

Jul 12, 2009
    kittanning, PA
    just keep your foot rested on the throttle don't lift completely off of it and your jakes will stay off, when your down shifting you can turn your foot sideways and use both pedals, that will help alot when your trying to slow down quite quickly and want to be able to catch your gears too.

maybe that wont work for you, what works for me isnt what works for everyone else but maybe It will help you some.

7. DrtyDiesel

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL

Thanks bro, ill keep it in mind. Thing i hate about e logs and qualcomm is it logs a hard braking event and sends it to the company. Ive gotten good at hard braking with 40,000+ behind me and stopping in time without setting that alarm off lol

8. Treefork

Treefork Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Northeast Indiana
    The engine break will stay on until you get down to your max governed speed then hit throttle. My truck is like yours (same company) and if you are downhill say 65 and hit jake then hit throttle at 64 it will stay on after you let go unless you are under our governed speed of 63. Make sense?

9. DrtyDiesel

Feb 14, 2010
    Jacksonville, FL

Yeah i know what you mean bro. I hate Roehl's governed trucks, BUT im glad we're not governed less than what we are lol

10. 01cblue

01cblue Light Load Member

May 4, 2010
    It's a dry heat
    Looks like something is gonna crawl out from behind the seat and bite you on the leg! :biggrin_25524:

11. cadillacdude1975

cadillacdude1975 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    company truck is midasized very well. i leave the jake on all the time. if you want to disable it, just barely rest your foot on the clutch. dont press the clutch, just rest your foot on the pedal and it will disable them. that is what i do.

id rather use my jakes than have hot brakes when some soccer mom pulls out in front of me and i have to stop with 43k in the box on hot brakes.

my 2 cents.

DrtyDiesel Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.